• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I’ve been playing with my camera

10 posts in this topic

I’ve shown this coin on the board before, but it has been awhile. I won this coin on eBay a few years ago. It was raw when I won it, but I sent it in to NGC to be holdered.

The photos of the coin I posted back then were taken with a different camera, not of the quality of the one I own now. While those photos were nice, they were small, and I always felt they were lacking compared to what the coin looks like in person.

Anyway, I was playing around with my camera today and decided to try to get some better photos of the coin. These are the best photos of this coin I have been able to get so far. They are very faithful reproductions of what the coin actually looks like in hand, except that the green around the rims is a just little brighter in real life.

Well here it is, enjoy!

1350114-1963dfranklinobv.jpg1350122-1963dfranklinrev.jpg

John

Super Frankie John! Very nice color's. Great pic. Looks to be a 65*, non-FBL, to me. I hope you don't mind me sharing one of mine here.

Img23148.jpg

Img23149.jpg

those are both very nicely toned frankies.

John, I remember you posting the 1963 before (maybe a few yr ago? I can't remember, but I DO remember the coin!). I've been looking for a '63 (or a '53) like that since, and have only seen a couple that we similarly toned, and then, only on one side. An amazingly beautiful Franklin.

edited to add:

ps, what kind of camera are you using and how did this coin grade? (like it really matters...)

Hi mike,

Thanks for your comments on the coin. It’s always nice to know that others who you hold in high regard as a numismatist appreciate one of your coins as much as you do.

The camera I’m using is a Fuji FinePix S7000. It has a macro as well as super macro function, and can take some amazing close up photos when using the super macro mode.

I took the photo using two 13w ott lights, one on each side of the coin. The lights were positioned so that they did not cause any glare on the holder.

Not surprisingly, the colors on the coin actually look nicer and brighter when the lights are directly over the coin, but then the glare from the holder makes getting a decent photo impossible.

As for the grade, Lee just about nailed it. NGC graded the coin MS-65, which is what I felt it would grade. It did not get a *, which I was a little surprised about, but like you said it really doesn’t matter. The coin is what it is.

I knew when I sent the coin in that it would not grade higher then a 65 and it was not a FBL coin, so I had no illusions that it would come back a super grade, big money coin. I sent the coin in simply so it would be in a holder to better protect, preserve and store it.

John