• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wouldn't you love to see a good picture of this coin...

21 posts in this topic

I just hate being sold something that might regrade higher. If the seller thinks it is higher, then he ought to spend the bucks to regrade and then capitalize on the profits. The poor picture quality alone would keep me from bidding. Yes I would like to see a nice picture of this coin.

That coin has been cleaned, or at the very least dipped completely white and stripped of all its original surfaces, and then was put into an album and toned in that manner. Coins from 1829, such as this CBH, don't stay that white in the center as AU58 unless they have been dipped and/or cleaned. If you want a coin that isn't original, this is it.

Tom,

While I have no doubt that you are correct, I would still like to see this coin. Even on a dipped, non-original coin, album toning looks nice to me. It’s not as appealing as a nice crusty original, but it is better than a freshly dipped all white coin.

As a side note, I think that the “easy upgrade” here may be in the picture. If that coins sells for less than $650, I would bet that the new owner could turn it right around, with a good picture, for a profit. The market, and Tom you would know better than I, is kind to these coins…right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with you, Winston, and my original post in the thread may have been read too negatively, though it was written as more matter-of-fact.

You have a good point with the idea that a good image could net the new owner quick funds unless the described small nick on Ms Liberty's cheek and the scratch next to the eagle's neck are more severe than the seller is describing them to be. It likely also does have significant curb appeal, and the reverse has hints of PL through the fuzzy image. The idea that the coin might upgrade to MS, however, may be valid but must be viewed in at least some part as hype since this is in the current generation PCGS holder so the coin could not have been graded earlier than one or two years ago.

If the seller is using this to pay for college books, the books must be for his/her son since the seller claims to have purchased this coin back in 1979.

I could imagine this coin selling for not only more than $650, but also more than $800. I believe that my history with seeing coins similar to this one, but not exactly like this one, taints my perception of them and that that peaks through my posts. It has been my experience that many folks have come to me with CBHs that have good curb appeal and that they believe are originally toned. When they ask for an honest opinion, and I tell them and explain it to them, most eventually come to see the coin in a less favorable light. I guess it's just human nature, and I think my initial response to pieces like this reflects that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From the auction:

I HAD THIS COIN SINCE 1979 WHEN I BOUGHT IT AS CHILD FROM HOWIE LEVY AT THREE VILLAGE COIN AND STAMP, LONG ISLAND. I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS A SLIDER AND THAT DEPENDING ON WHO GRADED IT THAT IT COULD BE MS, BU, OR AU

Well, If he's saying he was told it would grade MS, BU, or AU by a TPG in 1979 when he purchased it tonofbricks.gif. At least that's the way I read it. But, it's Friday night and I'm beer number 6. grin.gif

TomB I really appreciate your honesty and matter of fact manner in answering questions. It helps me see things more clearly apart from the emotional tug of a particular coin. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

I always hate to be the Richard Cranium in the crowd, but please keep in mind that the 1839 RE half likely had its raw image taken on a white background using a sheet of paper or something similar. If that assumption is true, then try to color correct in your mind how strong these colors actually are. Just something to think about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always hate to be the Richard Cranium in the crowd, but please keep in mind that the 1839 RE half likely had its raw image taken on a white background using a sheet of paper or something similar. If that assumption is true, then try to color correct in your mind how strong these colors actually are. Just something to think about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks (again) Tom. You mentioned to "watch the white background" on another post and I believe I need to make that a permenant part of my reviewing of pictures. As a matter of fact, wouldn't it be nice if "white" was purposely left in pictures as a color reference or baseline as we all have different monitors.

Chad,

Yes I do own that one, but at the price I would be willing to part with it, you’d be better off shopping elsewhere. That one is a thick MS 63 graded by PCGS. It stayed at $200 on ebay one day so I grabbed it. I usually see them priced higher.

P.S. You own that raccoon 893scratchchin-thumb.gif