• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1871 Cal Gold quarter

16 posts in this topic

Just board so thought i'd post this. It's a scan, and yea i know the pics suck, someday i'll get the camera figured out. Anyway, this is a 1871 Cal gold 25 cent piece, awful small lil thing.

1344481-77.jpg

1344481-77r.jpg

1344481-77o.jpg

1344481-77o.jpg.98b0ca888d8847fb2eb332b2eab06de5.jpg

How much might one expect to pay for that?

confused-smiley-013.gifNot sure what they go for these days Chad, it's been in my collection for quite a few years now, i havn't really stayed up with the prices. blush.gif

I have a few raw pieces that are AU and MS and were purchased five or more years ago. I think the market for genuine pieces would be at least $150 each for original, problem-free AU or MS coins.

I have a few raw pieces that are AU and MS and were purchased five or more years ago. I think the market for genuine pieces would be at least $150 each for original, problem-free AU or MS coins.

I think you are close, some of the BG#'s are rarer and bring more. But overall (just from a quick look at EBAY) alot of rounds in MS can be gotten for a couple hundred.

I apologize for my ignorance here, but is this Cal gold 25 cent piece considered “fractional gold.” If it’s not entirely clear by my question, I know nothing in this area.

I apologize for my ignorance here, but is this Cal gold 25 cent piece considered “fractional gold.” If it’s not entirely clear by my question, I know nothing in this area.

Fractional and some refer to it as "Territorial Fractional".

Yes, Winston, they are known as fractional gold. However, I would venture that 90% of the pieces that are offered as California fractional gold are actually modern copies, tokens or fantasy pieces that are not gold. This is an esoteric area that requires more homework than most in order to protect your investment.

Yes, Winston, they are known as fractional gold. However, I would venture that 90% of the pieces that are offered as California fractional gold are actually modern copies, tokens or fantasy pieces that are not gold. This is an esoteric area that requires more homework than most in order to protect your investment.

GREAT POINT! For me, i looked into these a bit a few years ago. And for me, it came down to one thing, BUY PCGS or NGC CERTIFIED EXAMPLES ONLY!

I wouldn't buy a raw one, just don't know enough about them to trust myself.

You better believe it! Back in June I made that very mistake.

Zach