• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting Lincoln Error.

11 posts in this topic

Excaliber,

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I am loking at. Which part of the cent is this? What is the date and mint mark on this coin?

Thanks so much, Winston

Sorry Winston, guess i should of explained a little bit.lol

That is the date, only has the "19" missing the other two numbers. No MM. Not sure what the date really is, it's a Wheatie.

I think it's the date - missing the last two numbers.

I think it's cool thumbsup2.gif

I've got one where the entire date is missing.

Hays

Cool! I was told a few years ago that there was a run of "1941''s that had all sorts of date numbers missing. Like i said above, not worth much, but a neat lil error though. cool.gif

Oh I see. Yes that is a neat error. Could you certify such an error? My understanding was that all certified coins need a full date; but my other understanding is that any mint error can be certified. So...where does that leave this coin confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah they may well not be worth slabbing I have no idea. I just thought that it was a quizzical paradox.

Here is the quote that I had remembered incorrectly from the little no grade handbook

NGC will also not grade coins that have a small part of

the design missing, resulting in an ILLEGIBLE DATE or

ILLEGIBLE MINTMARK. Such missing details are

typically due to the dies being excessively worn or filled

with grease. Major missing details due to filled dies that

affect a large portion of the coin are graded under NGC’s

regular tiers as “Mint Error” coins.

Yeah they may well not be worth slabbing I have no idea. I just thought that it was a quizzical paradox.

Here is the quote that I had remembered incorrectly from the little no grade handbook

NGC will also not grade coins that have a small part of

the design missing, resulting in an ILLEGIBLE DATE or

ILLEGIBLE MINTMARK. Such missing details are

typically due to the dies being excessively worn or filled

with grease. Major missing details due to filled dies that

affect a large portion of the coin are graded under NGC’s

regular tiers as “Mint Error” coins.

PO-01 and FR-02 coins sometimes have no dates. Also, off struck coins and things of that nature may not have dates. Kind of dumb, but it still can be done.