• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 Jeff Proof for Submission....

2 posts in this topic

Hi. I would like to have your expertise on this...

I purchased both 1942 proof nickels awhile back (few years) from a very well known dealer in NY and both were marked as "Very Ch Proof".

Both coins have lost their mint luster and have some sort of toning when purchased.

I would like to send both coins to NGC. However, I have noticed the following...

Type II (Silver) - noticed that there were some PVC residure along the rim.

Can I send it to NCS and have proper work done (maybe even restore the lustre) then forward it to MGS for regular NGC holder with grade?

Type I - I was shock to see hairlines all over the coin. I am not sure if the hairlines were there before the coin was being stuck becuase I really did not see any on the raised fields (bust, Montecello, and all the letterings). The hairlines only appreas on the plained areas. I would also like to send to NGC for grade. Can you please give your suggestion?

Here are the scans I have just made...

Thank you.

1343218-jeff1.jpg.5a0a981774bca25cabd20daadfe238fc.jpg

It does appear that the coin in the image has some residues that will prevent it from grading with NGC. Assuming these residues have not damaged the surfaced underneath and there aren't any other irreversible surface problems, your coin should grade with NGC.

Your other coin could be submitted to NCS as well. If the hairlines you notice are from an improper cleaning which would result in a "no grade" with NGC, you will have the coin encapsulated in an NCS Details Grade holder with a grade of the details and description of the problem.

To submit to NCS contact NCS Customer Service at 866-627-2646 or ncshelp@ncscoin.com

Chris, NCS