• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos To NGC's Newfound Responsiveness

14 posts in this topic

A recent thread led me to lament the lack of action that NGC had displayed for several suggestions I had given to them regarding their registry. The thread was about the NGC Journals, and I was not impressed with either the jounals or the response of NGC to my suggestions. Rather than again outline my suggestions in public, I just stated that they had been ignored.

Apparently, folks at NGC read some of our threads, for the next day, a Friday, I had a PM from high ranking NGC official asking me to detail my suggestions. I sent off the PM, which was no doubt longer than they wanted to read, and received another PM on Monday to inform me that all my suggestions were accepted and would be acted upon. 893whatthe.gifsmile.gif The simplest suggestion was immediately implemented and the other three will roll out over the course of the summer and fall.

I won't go into the other three suggestions, because I believe that any announcements of this type should be handled by NGC, but I will share with everyone the change that has already taken place. Unlike the three serious suggestions that are still being put into place, I had one whimsical suggestion and that was to allow the 1883 Kingdom of Hawaii quarter to be placed into the State Quarters slot within the US Type Set. This suggestion has been previously shot down by NGC when I have brought it up, but this time it was accepted and I am now the proud owner of 37 additional registry points. insane.gif The additional registry points are for the inclusion of my MS66 1883 Kingdom of Hawaii quarter in the State Quarter slot. grin.gif

For anyone interested, here is my US Type Set, which also happens to be my only registry set. Since the coin is in a PCGS holder it will likely take a day or so before it shows up in my set.

I'd just like to give a big public thank you to the powers that be at NGC for tweaking the registry for me and for their future changes, which will be much more substantial and affect more folks. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1343212-QHA83PCGS66.jpg

1343212-QHA83PCGS66.jpg.465d07dd2d1b65dd4696a53decaa05e2.jpg

Beautiful set Tom,why did you do it anonymously?

I figured that somebody would try to be a wiseguy and take that user name, so I'd beat them to it. wink.gif

There are a few coins missing in your type set that I suspect that you have e.g. Peace dollar. Any reason you don't put them in? I really don't know anything about registry sets.

Glad that you were heeded. My contact with NGC employees have always been positive. Not only are they cool people but they are all professionals as well.

proud owner of 37 additional registry points. The additional registry points are for the inclusion of my MS66 1883 Kingdom of Hawaii quarter in the State Quarter slot.

This is an issue that has been bothering me lately. Why only 37 points for a super high grade rarity like that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Notice the outrageous points given to ms69 SMS 2005 coins? I think that the half is c. 2000 points. It makes no sense whatsoever.

What, do they have a monkey pull a number out of a bingo cage to come up with a value? There is no consistency and it really irritates me. Maybe it's my own issues but I still just don't get it.

Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

For anyone interested, here is my US Type Set, which also happens to be my only registry set.

I think you have a claim under the PCGS grade guarantee if your proof Wheat cent is really graded PF65 RED like you state.

tomb0.jpg

tomb1.jpg

Greg, I think there is more than one instance of that in my set. blush.gif I really do own the 1909 PF65RD matte proof Lincoln slabbed by PCGS that is recorded in that slot, but my image of it is terrible. Therefore, if you read my endless text that accompanies this coin you will notice the following-

The coin imaged in this slot does not actually match the certification number for the coin as given.

I then go on to describe both the coin imaged and the coin listed. Was that clear? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, that was kind of funny. grin.gif Same as the two-cent piece.

But, I really, really enjoyed looking at these coins again. The Seated Liberty half is incredible! All the coins are extraordinary.

Now, the 1832 dime is one that I've been looking for for years but have had no such luck. frown.gif

http://www.collectors-society.com/regist...eopleSetID=1732

EZ_E, the 37 points earned by this piece are a reflection of the slot that the coin is now eligible for. Previously, the Kingdom of Hawaii quarters had no place in the US Type Set, but my complaining eventually allowed them to be put into the set under the State Quarter slot. After all, my argument was that this issue was really the first state quarter, even if it predated Hawaii's entrance into the Union by 76 years and start of the State Quarter program by 116 years. 893whatthe.gif

Anyway, it seems the underlying idea of the type set is to give any coin eligible for a particular slot only those points that a generic dated issue would obtain. So, since the state quarters get 37 points for an MS66, that is the weight for this piece. I have no problem with this since it is a loose fit, at best, for the slot.

That makes sense. I just read the whole thread on the point system under the registry title. Learned alot there. I still believe that they need to tweek the system an aweful lot but I'm more understanding now.

No Shield 5c in that set. 893whatthe.gif NGC has it all over the competition when it comes to responsiveness to collectors' desires and to enhancing the enjoyment of collecting.

Greg, I think there is more than one instance of that in my set. blush.gif I really do own the 1909 PF65RD matte proof Lincoln slabbed by PCGS that is recorded in that slot, but my image of it is terrible. Therefore, if you read my endless text that accompanies this coin you will notice the following-

The coin imaged in this slot does not actually match the certification number for the coin as given.

I then go on to describe both the coin imaged and the coin listed. Was that clear? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh sure, it makes sense if I actually read the description, but why would I do something like that? blush.gifmakepoint.giftonofbricks.gif

That's the secret to all my posts. I just assume if I put enough text in the post that folks won't read it and they will simply write that they agree with me. devil.gif