• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aah, those 'special' coins

15 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly Parsippany, N.J. coin show today. This was the first coin show I have been able to attend in months due to being extremely busy at work lately, so I was really looking forward to going today.

I arrived early, and almost all of the dealers were still setting up. This was fine by me, as I like to get to a show early and hit all of my favorite dealers before all of their best coins are picked over by the guys who like to sleep late. wink.gif

After stopping at a few tables and catching up with people I happened upon a table with a large selection of very nice early silver commems. I did not know the dealer, and as I walked up to his table he was talking to another collector.

As I began looking at his inventory, I could overhear that they were talking about early commems. From what I could hear of the conversion, the dealer seemed like a real nice guy. Just about this time I noticed it, one of those ‘special’ coins that are few and far between. The coin was a 1937d Oregon commem in a PCGS MS-67 holder.

The coin was toned in wonderful shades of red, orange, gold, and turquoise. I couldn’t wait to get the coin in my hand for a closer look, but I waited for the dealer to finish up with the other collector, and then asked to see the coin.

Once it was in hand, I could see that the surfaces of the coin were pristine and mark free to the naked eye. In addition, the cartwheel luster made all that beautiful toning shimmer and swirl as it was rotated under a light. cloud9.gif

The design of the Oregon Trail commemorative by itself is considered by most numismatists to be one of the most eye appealing of all the early silver commemorative issues.

However, when time and nature adds beautiful toning to the design, the results can add up to a truly special coin. In my opinion, this was one of those ‘truly special’ coins. Needless to say I bought the coin, and I am quite happy to have been able to add it to my set. Afterward I had a nice long talk with the dealer, and he really is a nice guy, so I not only added a new coin, I also added a new dealer! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here are my photos of the coin;

1341509-1937doregonobv.jpg1341510-1937doregonrev.jpg

John

John, that’s a nice read and a tremendous coin. I couldn’t agree more about the Oregon Trail being a beautiful coin in the first place, but with the added color of this one, it is a truly special coin. thumbsup2.gif

"Monthly Show" WOW! Sure wish you would send some of those dealers down here to the Florida panhandle ......... to a LOT of coin starved buyers. acclaim.gif Finally, our semi-annual show is comming later this month. I'll get to see what it's like to write a show report.

I saw the coin this morning and I want to say that John's picture is a very accurate representation of what the coin looks like in person.

Maybe John should be giving photography tips!

Wonderful example of a great coin, I love the toning and I bet in hand this coin has stunning luster. cloud9.gif

Thanks John for sharing both your coin and story. thumbsup2.gif

I saw the coin this morning and I want to say that John's picture is a very accurate representation of what the coin looks like in person.

Maybe John should be giving photography tips!

John has always had nice pictures to share with us. I know if he takes a picture it is usally dead on.

Thanks for the comments about the coin everyone. smile.gif

Dang!

Victor, this is the first time I’ve seen ‘DANG’ used as a comment about a coin. Thank you….I think. grin.gif

"Monthly Show" WOW!

Regis, yes, we are very lucky coin show wise up here in the New York / New Jersey area. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That's a monthly show I'd want to avoid. yeahok.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hoot, why is that? I assure you, I shower, brush my teeth, and comb my hair before going to the show. grin.gif

John hope you don't mind but I took your images and combined them.

Bruce, mind, of course not. In fact, I liked the look of the combined image so much, I saved it. thumbsup2.gif

John