• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Population data missing PL copper coins?

2 posts in this topic

Just fired off this inquiry in the "Ask NGC" section. While I'm waiting for a response, I'm wondering if other folks have noticed this either with U.S. or world coins. Picture below of the coin in question.

Why don't PL coins ever show up in the population data for copper coins (both U.S. and world coins)?

There are MSPL categories for noncopper pieces, but not copper; only BN vs RB vs RD.

For example, I have a 1770 Great Britain 1/2d, in an NGC holder, graded MS64 BN PL. When I look up the certification, the coin is legitimate, but when I click on the link for the NGC population information, I get an error message stating that there is no population data for this coin.

So does this mean that PL copper coins do not show up in the online population data at all, or are they just lumped in with other MS64 BN coins?

Under "Strike" for this coin, it is categorized as "BNP". Should there not be a line entry in the population data for this date for "BNP" in addition to RD RB and BN?

I really would like to get an idea as to how common or rare PL examples are for that whole series, yet apparently I cannot get ANY data about PL copper pieces (and this goes for both U.S. and world coins).

Can this be fixed?

Thanks,

-Dan

152084302r.jpg

152084302o.jpg

The reason your coin does not show up is not because it is a PL copper but because the NGC population report, at least for world coins, is not complete. I happen to have an 1892 South Africa NGC MS-64 RB PL and it is one of two in the census.

I know the census is not accurate because I own coins that are not in it and have seen others for sale that do not show up. But they do show as as being graded when you do a look-up on the serial number as I have done with all of mine.

This is really irritating and was one of the items I included in the recent NGC survey I completed. This is so not because the numbers are understated (most world coins have such a low population as to be meaningless) but because if the population is zero, I do not know if any high grade specimens even exist for the issues that I collect. That is how hard many of them are too find.