• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Services for Gold Buffalo

2 posts in this topic

I'm a new user and coin collector. I purchased 3 proof gold buffalo coins in June from the mint. All three are in the mint packaging along with their certificates of authenticity. I have the original invoice that the mint sent to me as well. I removed the three boxes from the mint shipping material. I just joined the collector society and wanted to get these coins graded as "First Strike". I'm being told that because I didn't keep the coins sealed in the box that was shipped from the mint that they cannot be graded as First Strike.

Is this correct ? Is there any I can do ? I have the original invoice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig

• Administrator

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the Boards and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately your coins are not eligible for first strikes designation by NGC. Proof coins must be received by NGC within the first month of release from the Mint. The cutoff date for Proof Buffalos was July 31, 2006. We do accept coins for first strikes in their sealed mint packaging after this date, but the box must be opened by NGC. Coins sent to us in open boxes or with accompanying documentation are not elgible for this designation after the first month has passed.

Proof Buffalo's are, of course, always eligible for grading in the standard NGC label at any time.