• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan CC question

10 posts in this topic

I've seen a number of CC morgans in the GSA cases for sale. But, I've not seen one in-hand so I'm curious about them. Are they "relatively" secure like a TPG slab? Or, is it simply a case that opens very easy (not intended to be sealed in any way)? Are they commonly messed with or coppied?

Thanks,

Regis

Like anything else, I suppose anything is possible but I have never heard of any counterfeit GSA cased coins.

To answer your question more directly. No they are not commonly messed with or copied.

I never had one, but you can get GSA dollars certified by tpgs, still in their original case, but with a tape or something attached to them. Personally, I think it would be a great way to collect undipped Morgans with original skin, but I'm sure there is a premium for them being GSA that might go beyond the value of their thick skin.

I just noticed how many "empty" GSA boxes and COA's are for sale on ebay. I'll need to look closely at how they are sealed/secured when I get to a show. I guess "Buy the coin not the holder" applies just as much to these as to TPG's.

Thanks,

Regis

Regis, here is a partial image of a GSA I have.

1883ccgsa64001cropzq5.jpg

And yes Mike you can find some thick skinned original un messed with coins in these cases.

1883ccgsa64obvrevpanvz3.jpg

This one from a Blue Soft Pack

1878ccgsa64panvertko5.jpg

Spider, those are both nice Morgans. I particularly like the 78' cc. What is a "Blue Soft Pack?" I don't know that I have seen those.

Thanks! Winston

Instead of the hard GSA cases, a blue soft pack housed some morgans also. It's like a cello pack with the big silver coin in it, then a plastic thing next to it that says GSA.