• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 BB out of 5

33 posts in this topic

Well my 1st coins made it back finally from NGC (sent July 7th received Aug 4th).

I wasn't posative of grades but, didn't believe there were any problems. Well, I was wrong as 2 came back body bagged. I've read about body bags but now have decided that I really don't like that they simply toss it in a plastic bag and say improperly cleaned. I much prefer ANACS method of grading, dislosing any problems and slabbing with label specifying their findings (certification "good or bad"). Folks will often agree or dis-agree with the certified grade level from any company but, why NGC doesn't certify & slab their findings (even if I don't like it) puzzels me. I don't see anything wrong with certifying the truth but, a plastic bag is a cop-out. What's the advantage to TPGs....save a few cents on slab?

My 2 c

Regis

I remember getting a few coins bagged one one of my first submissions to NGC,at the time I was disgusted and couldn't believe NGC bagged them. I was really down until I submitted them to ANACS and they all graded.A few years later with a bit more knowledge under my belt,I now realize that NGC was right and the coins were correctly BB'd.In this case it was ANACS who was in the wrong,and this lowered there standing in my opinion...I'm not meaning to put down ANACS,it's just that as with anyone,personal experinces with a TPG can effect their whole outlook on any coins in that company's slabs.

Care to post pics of your coins and why they were bagged? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hayden

NGC said both were improperly cleaned with no indication of grade (or FH that I expected on the quarter). Blown up this big, I can see some hairlines on the SLQ rev field on right.

1907 INC

1907-obv.jpg

1907-rev.jpg

1929 SLQ

1929-obv.jpg

1929-rev.jpg

The 1907 IHC has the feel of an AU with lots of spots on it that might have been removed. The lighting on the coin makes it difficult to tell if it is an even color, but it appears to have patches of lighter copper showing through. The SLQ is clearly circulated and shows evident hairlining from being cleaned and/or polished.

The 1907 IHC has the feel of an AU with lots of spots on it that might have been removed. The lighting on the coin makes it difficult to tell if it is an even color, but it appears to have patches of lighter copper showing through.

You are right about the lighter color spots (e.g. in & around the word "STATES"). Viewing straight-on in hand you do not see that shiney/greasy look. When I tilt to just the right angel to light, there appears to be colorful glistening in the fields but, not quite touching edges. NOW, that looks like Q'tip was run around the flat areas with something slightly greasy. I can soak some in acetone to see if it is really some kind of oil.

This has turned out to be a pretty good lesson. I think that I'll photograph and enlarge before I send in any more coins. Looking with loupe is not quite enough with my old eyes.

Regis this is a good lesson indeed! Sorry to hear about the body bags and quite frankly I am a bit surprised you wanted to send these coins. You seemed to be doing so good on the grading test etc. At either rate you can learn from this and you will know what to look for. I am not here to dog your coins but that SLQ is so blah to me. Maybe you can sell it if you choose to and buy a better one.. Good luck and keep trying!

"2 BB out of 5"

So what happened with the other three?

1880-S Morgan MS-62

1941 WLH MS-64

1943 WLH MS-63

Working my way to certified WLH short set in MS-63 & 64

Only lack 7 for full set at VF or better (not to be certified though)

All 4 of my BBs were “improperly cleaned.” For some reason, I decided to send them all to NCS for “net” grades. I sold 2 in their NCS holders on ebay. I thought they would actually sell for significantly less than they did. The NCS holders said, “Imporperly Cleaned” and I noted it in my ad, but they still did better than I expected.

The remaining 2 were gifts from my wife, so I felt like I should keep them. I have since broken them out of their NCS holders and put them in this page of a folder. The folder has fallen apart into separate pages. They are both "s"

Cleaned.jpg

Chad I just checked out those Dansco 7070s. I think you might be right. They are downright luxurious compared to what I have.

7070 is a very nice album!

Regis,

Sorry to say, but both of your coins have indeed been cleaned. In an effort to help point out what harsh cleaning can look like, I have circled the problem areas on your coin in red.

1341608-1907-obv.jpg1341606-1929-rev.jpg

To the un-trained eye this type of cleaning can be missed if it is not drastic, but to an experienced collector it will stick out like a sore thumb.

The easiest way to spot this type cleaning is to rotate the coin slowly under a bright light. Try to view the coin from as many angles as possible. The cleaning will show up as dull spots in the coins luster.

Once spotted, view these dull areas with a loupe and you will see the telltale hairlines.

I hope this helps.

John

John and all,

Thank you for the help. I did see the hairlines on the SLQ on the enlarged photo but, did not see problems on INC until pointed out to me.

Thanks again,

Regis

First of all, I'll state that I agree with NGC's assessment of both coins.

That said, you paid for a coin capsule, not a plastic baggie. I absolutely despise the whole "body bag" concept. If you pay for a coin to be encapsulated, it should be encapsulated. I don't even want my money back, I want what I paid for.

I wish there was more ruckus raised about this contemptible practice.

James

First of all, I'll state that I agree with NGC's assessment of both coins.

That said, you paid for a coin capsule, not a plastic baggie. I absolutely despise the whole "body bag" concept. If you pay for a coin to be encapsulated, it should be encapsulated. I don't even want my money back, I want what I paid for.

I wish there was more ruckus raised about this contemptible practice.

James

Exactly right. I paid for coins to be encapsulated and with creditable certification label specifiying true condition. That is not what I got in return.

That was my original point but, I did get some good help clarifying why they were bb'd.

Believe me I want to jump on the bandwagon here, but you can get your

coins slabbed by NCS with the problems stated on the label. It is

my understanding that if the coin is found to be problem free they send it on

to NGC. I think they only charge 3 bucks for transferring the coin and they

waive their fee in this case (you still have to pay NGC for their service). So

there is a solution here - send your coins to NCS.

Someone please correct me if I’ve misunderstood this process.

Hays

Believe me I want to jump on the bandwagon here, but you can get your

coins slabbed by NCS with the problems stated on the label. It is

my understanding that if the coin is found to be problem free they send it on

to NGC. I think they only charge 3 bucks for transferring the coin and they

waive their fee in this case (you still have to pay NGC for their service). So

there is a solution here - send your coins to NCS.

Someone please correct me if I’ve misunderstood this process.

Hays

I do not beleive NCS grades...even net grade. To me there is a huge difference between and MS-62 and MS-64 even if both are improperly cleaned (equally).

I've submitted to NCS. They don't "net grade" but they do give a details assessment. For instance, mine were "AU details"

Hays, is correct about sending to NCS. They will forward problem free coins to NGC for a minimal price.

I've never sent coins there but it says on their website:

"In addition to its world-class Professional Conservation Service, NCS offers

two certification options: Authentication and Encapsulation & Details Grading

for Problem coins."

NCS website

Hays

Exactly. Detail grading. AG details, VF details, AU details, etc.

I see, so it won't help Regis. I think I understand that he wants for example MS64

Cleaned and NCS would put MS Details. Is that right?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Doesn't ANACS do net grading?

Hays

Can you have MS details? I honestly don't know, but it kinda sounds like an oxymoron - "cleaned with MS details"

That would be true if dipped by dealer but, not if cleaned by average person having coins but, not seriously collecting. I would simply like the actual "certified" grade and true condition. I beleive ANACS does that but, I'd rather support NGC....mostly because of their support for this forum.

Regis