• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dollars (trivia question)

12 posts in this topic

Dave Bowers, in Adventures with Rare Coins, page 98, gives four dates: 59-O, 60-O, 71, and surprisingly 1868 (I would not have thought of that date). The 68 bag was not personally verified by him. I don't study these close enough to know if there are a lot of baggy looking 68s out there - if so the story is likely true.

Other bags of circulated mixed dates were found & were likely distributed in proportion to their original mintages (less any overweight coins melted throughout the years). Bowers reported finding 1870CCs & 1872CCs himself, and heard reports at the time of 71CCs and 73CCs being found as well.

The 1868 is a VERY tough date in BU. It is deceptively difficult to find. In nice AU, it is not easy either!

That story about the bag is obviously wrong.

Do I get a beer? wink.gif

EVP

Not unless the '68 bag hasn't been distributed to the market yet

Who'd hold a bag of 1868 dollars for FORTY years? One would assume that the coins would at least have been slowly, but fully, dispersed by now! I'd say that the 1868 is almost as rare in UNC as the '72-CC.

I don't recall anything about free beer in my original post

Fine. I hope you choke on a piece of crab shell! wink.gif

EVP

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

He should have gone there the following year. That's when the 1964-dated dollars were coined. smirk.gif