• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taco Bell Napkin Update....

36 posts in this topic

Here is a series of pictures.

First one is on 1/7/06

Second is 3/28/06

Third one is 5/10/06

Fourth is 6/10/06

Fith is 7/31/06

1859o.jpg

1859ot.jpg

1859o1.jpg

1859otp.jpg

18595.jpg

The Blue is really starting to take over the coin and is getting very pretty. The eye appeal on the coin went from an F to an A+ for me... I am still shocked at what the coin is doing. In Terms of value I think it at least doubled or tripled, but its not for sale so that does not matter. The part that does matter is the eye appeal in my eyes is better and since I own the coin, thats what counts to me.

I'll tell you what that is. Its 893censored-thumb.gif up! Here I thought that you guys were kidding about Taco Bell trick. lol I guess the joke is on me!

The napkin must have some type of treatment to the paper that causes this.

I'll tell you what that is. Its 893censored-thumb.gif up! Here I thought that you guys were kidding about Taco Bell trick. lol I guess the joke is on me!

The napkin must have some type of treatment to the paper that causes this.

This all started by accident, but I decided to leave the coin, which was first on the napkin, in the napkin tucked away. The results have been posted. There is really no joke, but I am sure more people will try it seeing my results. On that note are any board members trying it with any coins? Now I will say I think I have been lucky so far with this coin. As to what role the napkin is playing on the coin I can't say for 100%

So here is a question...would this be considered Artificial tone? Accelerated tone? Natural tone?

To me, its a matter of intent. If a person treats a coin with a chemical in the hopes that it changes color to hide some detracting mark, this is cleary an AT coin.

If someone innocently leaves a coin in a safe, say on a carpeted surface....and forgets about it for a year or more....then one day opens the safe to see that the chemicals in the carpet have caused some rather attractive coloration, do we still call it AT? if so, why?

What makes NT....well......Natural?

Is album tone natural? if so....how is that any different in principle than the safe example?

Is bag toning NT?

Is it a function of the chemical that causes the discoloration?

Is it a function of the amount of time it took?

The whole thing seems very subjective to me.

From everything I have read, I take NT to mean the chemical process that occurs when a slow process of oxidization occcurs as a function of some catalyst...usually a foriegn material in close proximity to the surface of the coin (like in the case of album toning)

One of the tell tale signs of this type of tone is that the depth of the color changes with the height of the relief. The field being further away will tone at a different rate than say the motto which would be closer in proximity to the catalyst. When the color is uniform regardless of height, people tend to scream AT. The thing is, why? Are some chemical compounds artificial and only other ones (like that blue ink in Whitman folders) naturally occuring?

Sorry to hijack the thread...just thowing around some semantics (im a big fan of semantics wink.gif

Pretty interesting experiment Bruce....I like how the coin is turning out.

I wonder if the CEO of TB is a numismatic?

This is definitely a NT coin. The toning experiment started, if you'll remember, by accident. Bruce misplaced the coin on his (messy) desk, which happened to have Taco Bell napkins on it. When he found the coin, it looked like it does in the second pic. He decided to leave the coin to feed his curiousity, and also to enhance the coin. It just happened that the coin toned more and more. Bruce wasn't trying to tone the coin in the first place, but the atmosphere onhis desk, in his room, and in the napkin made the coin tone. NT all the way.

Interesting experiment!

Virtually all fast food is heavily laced with artificial ingredients, so it must be AT…. Maybe Taco Bell could use this experiment to become the "exclusive fast food provider to the ANA" and they could have a coin toning table at ANA-sponsored shows. They could slab dipped coins with a piece of napkin and some sauce as a “taco toner to go” special? Great up-side on these!! This is almost as good as putting a grading service inside the West Point Mint to slab every piece as MS-70 – think of the premium – direct from press to slab to sucker in less than a minute! Good ol’ PT would love it.

OK…end of sarcasm….

The paper napkin technique should work with any material containing high amounts of sulfur – just keep it in a dry environment to discourage excess acid formation. Look at your wife’s silverware – if it has a nice blue tone to it, then store your dipped-out coins with her silver. (Just don't let her catch you, or you'll get roped into helping her polish the silver while you talk about "feelings" the weekend before her mother comes to visit for a month.)

Bruce, great experiment. I've enjoyed each update.

According to H. Robert Campbell in the video “How to Tell Artificial Toning on Coins” - “…A coin doctor is someone who is trying to do the same thing consistently again and again while having the same results…If you can predict the timeline (for a coin to tone), then you’ve crossed the line… If you can’t predict it with any kind of reliability then you’re really not a coin doctor

I think that’s a fair way define coin doctors and AT coins. So…I agree with Chad. This is NT.

Album toning is natural.

Bag toning is natural.

If you accidentally leave a coin somewhere that it tones it is natural toning.

Interesting experiment!

Virtually all fast food is heavily laced with artificial ingredients, so it must be AT…. Maybe Taco Bell could use this experiment to become the "exclusive fast food provider to the ANA" and they could have a coin toning table at ANA-sponsored shows. They could slab dipped coins with a piece of napkin and some sauce as a “taco toner to go” special? Great up-side on these!! This is almost as good as putting a grading service inside the West Point Mint to slab every piece as MS-70 – think of the premium – direct from press to slab to sucker in less than a minute! Good ol’ PT would love it.

OK…end of sarcasm….

Gosh,,,I hope one of the xyz TPG's don't read that. They'll begin printing slab labels on Taco Bell napkins 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which side is up in the napkins? The obverse? Do you have it wrapped up tight or is it just sandwiched between two napkins?

p.s. I'm amazed at the change from last month to this month. Just remember that black is soon to follow blue with a purple transition so I still advise to watch it closely to avoid the point of no return.

It has truly turned from a dog to a nice coin. Thanks for sharing.

AT is still AT

No offense intended but I will not be wrapping any of my coins in any napkins, most are to expensive for one thing the other is I like the closer to original surfaces better.

The coin had problems before it was accidentally left in a Taco Bell napkin. And it is my understanding that most accidentally artificially toned coins were originally problem coins and accidentally toned to hide the defects. grin.gif

Which side is up in the napkins? The obverse? Do you have it wrapped up tight or is it just sandwiched between two napkins?

p.s. I'm amazed at the change from last month to this month. Just remember that black is soon to follow blue with a purple transition so I still advise to watch it closely to avoid the point of no return.

It has truly turned from a dog to a nice coin. Thanks for sharing.

Its in one napkin wrapped up fairly tight. Colored side down.

AT is still AT

No offense intended but I will not be wrapping any of my coins in any napkins, most are to expensive for one thing the other is I like the closer to original surfaces better.

The coin had problems before it was accidentally left in a Taco Bell napkin. And it is my understanding that most accidentally artificially toned coins were originally problem coins and accidentally toned to hide the defects. grin.gif

This coin was not toned to hide any defects.... After picture 2 I decided to leave the coin in the napkin so it would gain eye appeal in my eyes. I don't plan to sell the coin anytime soon, maybe ever so...

Maybe after it covers the giant scratch a little on the reverse, try to have it slabbed. I'd bet it'd receive at least MS62.

ANACS would slab it as Net details other than that nope... But this one is staying raw...

Hi Bruce,

Pretty amazing results. I have an 1877 S Seated Quarter that has unc details that was dipped to the point of losing most of it's luster. I've had it in piece toilet paper in a sunny window for about 3 months now. I will post a picture of it later today, it's starting to take on some nice toning.

Have you thought about flipping the coin over to give the reverse a shot at some nice toning?

JJ

Hi Bruce,

Pretty amazing results. I have an 1877 S Seated Quarter that has unc details that was dipped to the point of losing most of it's luster. I've had it in piece toilet paper in a sunny window for about 3 months now. I will post a picture of it later today, it's starting to take on some nice toning.

Have you thought about flipping the coin over to give the reverse a shot at some nice toning?

JJ

Sounds nice. No I am not going to flip the coin for fear of wrecking it. Besides the coin is wrapped in the napkin.

Bruce,

Do you keep the coin in a humid or dry place? Hot or cool (e.g. air conditioned dry room)?

confused.gif The AT vs NT sure has me going in circles. I guess he/she who hides problems with toning (purposeful or accidental) is guilty of fraud if they sell without FULL disclosure. Other than that, it will take greater minds than mine to split those hairs.

tx,

Regis

Bruce,

Do you keep the coin in a humid or dry place? Hot or cool (e.g. air conditioned dry room)?

confused.gif The AT vs NT sure has me going in circles. I guess he/she who hides problems with toning (purposeful or accidental) is guilty of fraud if they sell without FULL disclosure. Other than that, it will take greater minds than mine to split those hairs.

tx,

Regis

The coin is kept in a cabinet, which is a fairly dry area. I did add a cup of water to help balance it out. AT to some NT to others.If I ever sold this coin I would fully disclose everything. I never entend to sell the coin.

Bruce,your pictures have inspired me to pursue a career as a coin docter. I will always remember you! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ok,ok,not really.But I think I might see how some raw unc morgans do.Was your coin previously dipped?

Bruce,your pictures have inspired me to pursue a career as a coin docter. I will always remember you! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ok,ok,not really.But I think I might see how some raw unc morgans do.Was your coin previously dipped?

I can't say for 100% what happened to the coin before I bought it. I did not dip the coin when I got it.

Ok,I was just wondering if your coin was more reactive from being just cleaned.

I would say yes.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say yes.

So do I, and not to knock Bruce’s coin at all, but I believe it was either dipped more then once or if one time, for too long. To me, the coin looked to have the typical washed out white look that over dipping imparts to a coin before the Taco Bell napkin treatment.

John

Quote:

I would say yes.

So do I, and not to knock Bruce’s coin at all, but I believe it was either dipped more then once or if one time, for too long. To me, the coin looked to have the typical washed out white look that over dipping imparts to a coin before the Taco Bell napkin treatment.

John

I can agree to that.