• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woo, finally added the last coin to finish my Texas commems.

13 posts in this topic

Today I received the last coin I needed to complete the date/mint set of Texas commems as part of the full early silver commem set that I am working on.

The coin is a 1937s in MS-67. In my experience, the ‘37s Texas is not an easy coin to find in MS-67 and the few that I have seen over the years were in my opinion, lacking in the eye appeal department. Here are photos of my coin.

1330967-1937stexasobv.jpg1330969-1937stexasrev.jpg

This coin’s eye appeal is much nicer then my photos suggest. Unquestionably, this is one of the nicest ‘37’s Texas commems that I have seen in over ten years of searching for one. It is blast white with a tinge of very light gold around the rims. The cartwheel luster is blinding when viewed under a light, and the strike is very sharp. All of the fine lines that are visible in the photo of the obverse are actually die polish, and are not visible to the naked eye.

John

Unquestionably, this is one of the nicest ‘37’s Texas commems that I have seen in over ten years of searching for one.

Wow! I betcha this coin will always rank among your favorites because the harder the chase then the sweeter the satisfaction!

This is a gorgeous coin. The reverse design is busy yet it works! Truly one of the top ten designs among all commems both classic and modern.

Nice Coin! thumbsup2.gif

By the way, John, where have you been the last few months?

He's been relentlessly hunting night and day for this commem!

Nice work, John! That coin flew off my monitor it was so blasty! Overall, was it more difficult to find attractive issues from 1938 over the 1937? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments guy’s!

Wow! I betcha this coin will always rank among your favorites because the harder the chase then the sweeter the satisfaction!

Victor,

This statement is true, but to be honest, while the satisfaction of acquiring this coin is sweet it I pales in comparison to when I found a 1934 a few months back. THAT coin is SWEET and also took me forever to find. foreheadslap.gif

By the way, John, where have you been the last few months?

Dave,

Please, you have no idea! It has been one thing after another at work, with no end in sight. Training new staff, supporting new systems, disaster recovery tests…Man, I can’t wait for things to settle down from this merger. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Overall, was it more difficult to find attractive issues from 1938 over the 1937?

Tom,

As you know, the 1938 issues are VERY tough, and maybe I was just lucky, but I didn’t have as hard of a time finding nice examples of them as I did the ’34 and ‘37s. Those two were by far the hardest coins for me to find really nice. Of course the grades also played some part in that because while my three 1938 issues are MS-66’s, I held out for MS-67’s on the ’34 and ‘37s. crazy.gif

John

Wonderful coin that has the most elaborate obverse in the commemorative series. Great way to end the long search you undertook. Congratulations 893applaud-thumb.gif