• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Please (Warning Large Images!)

30 posts in this topic

I was asked by a friend of mine if I would photo a few coins for him. Here are 2 of the coins. Please give your opinions on both the coins and the photos. Both are slabbed and graded already. What do you think?

1936smp5.jpg

1936smp3.jpg

1936smp4.jpg

1980omp2.jpg

1980omp4.jpg

The first one, its hard to tell because the toning covers so many possible surface marks. With the toning as it is, maybe MS65-66? The second one has many contact marks, maybe a MS62-63. JMO

The Texas has an interesting look. I find the color highly questionable. Surfaces look nice.

The Mexico silver round is nice. Color is natural. It's pure silver and these tone like this.

Dang it, Bruce!! You are a photo-guru! You have captured the essence of these difficult to photo coins: no glare and no loss of detail with excellent focusing. I am truly impressed!

Heads up, boardsters. Bruce is going to photograph my Dansco 7070 album for me. Too bad there won't be any coins in it, though! But just thought that you'd like to see what the album looks like. insane.gif

Really, though, he's going to photograph the coins and the album and place the detailed images of the coins via photoshop into the slots. I plan on making a what you need to know post on Dansco 7070 type collecting with images.

This is probably still a month away so please put together some thoughts on the subject and let's make this a really banger of a thread. I will definitely appreciate any or all input into the subject. Tom B's thread was an excellent article on type collecting but I want to focus on the Dansco 7070 since it is of interest to me personally and to many other collectors as well since it is more limiting than, say, a registry type set.

I'm looking forward to you dazzling me, Bruce.

Both are pretty coins but I agree with Greg that toning on the commem looks questionable.

Great pictures Bruce,and it will be nice to see how Victor's type set looks in reality.

(No offense intended Victor flowerred.gif)

27_laughing.gif

I'm going to have a password to view the images that I will provide for everyone but you, Hayden. poke2.gif

wink.gif

Actually, I got some pretty darn good images when I was on a roll that one time. The 1885 PR64 cameo quarter, 1892 PR65 Barber half and 1870 AU58 dollar are very accurate photos.

What originated the idea of Bruce photographing my coins was to be able to capture the true essence of my 1865 PR66 RB two cent piece. This coin differs greatly from my proof IHC (subject to the MS70 controversy). Its essence comes from within, grasshopper. It is hard to explain it w/o actually seeing it in person. Chinook knows exactly what I'm saying. PCGS photographed his and just merely captured the colors of the coin not the irridescence of it that seems to radiate from within. The IHC's, on the other hand, differ in that the colors appears on the surface of the coin.

Dang it, Bruce!! You are a photo-guru! You have captured the essence of these difficult to photo coins: no glare and no loss of detail with excellent focusing. I am truly impressed!

Thanks for the nice comments! My photos have come along way from my scanning days!

Bruce,don't you ever sleep? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure do, just maybe younger peoples hours L:) thumbsup2.gif

Heh,Friday night's my late night,er,morning too.I'm planning on sleeping in till this evening....J/K wink.gif

Bruce,don't you ever sleep? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure do, just maybe younger peoples hours L:) thumbsup2.gif

Heh,Friday night's my late night,er,morning too.I'm planning on sleeping in till this evening....J/K wink.gif

I have to work early tomorrow... well not super early but, its way too soon.. lol

The first one (the Texas commem) is AT without question while the Mexican piece has original toning.

Is the first coin in a SEGS holder?

The first one (the Texas commem) is AT without question while the Mexican piece has original toning.

Is the first coin in a SEGS holder?

It resides in a PCI Holder.

It resides in a PCI Holder.

BINGO! thumbsup2.gif Absolutely, without doubt, slam dunk, well known AT job.

Care to shed some light on this "Well known" AT Job...?

From the thread...

Taken from Greg... "Some BTWs and every now and again you'll see a Texas toned like this that is natural." That being said this is not my coin and I will let the owner decide.

The owner can decide if he/she wants, but that coin is still AT.

That very true. When I first saw the coin I thought "Neat" then when I got to looking at the coin I got to thinking how toning like this could have happened and I said... "Wait a minute thats near impossible." With all this being said, I like the look of this coin, AT as it is still pretty in my eyes. He does not intend to the sale the coin as far as I know. I will pass along the info. Thanks! Looking back on it I remember the thread.

It seems to have been my bad luck over the years to encounter several dozen of the Texas commems that were treated in this manner, and that is part of the reason why I have been so resolved on the toning of this coin. Obviously, I don't have the coin in-hand, but I think I can interpret your images by now and this coin has the prototypical look for this method on this issue. It's unfortunate, but someone or some number of folks, produced a number of Texas commems with this look.

It is unfortune that these were produced. All I can say is even though it is AT, It is a coin that at the right price I would add to my collection.

Bruce,

First off, Fantastic photos! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I really don’t have much to add other then that I agree with Greg and Tom’s assessment of the coins. Other then the color, the Texas looks like it could be 66/67. The funny thing is that before I even read Tom’s post asking what holder the coin was in, the same thought was going through my head. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

John thanks for the nice comments on my photos. I will say the color is pretty even with it being AT. As for the grade its a lower number slab than you mentioned.

Bruce,

How is the luster on the Texas? Is the toning darker in person then it looks in the photos? It looks very clean mark wise. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

Bruce,

How is the luster on the Texas? Is the toning darker in person then it looks in the photos? It looks very clean mark wise. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

John the Luster is not bad, and may be very better if the toning was not there. The toning hides it a bit if you ask me. The coin does look nice as far as hits go. The coin might even be a shade lighter in hand. I think the grade is held down by the strike which appears to be a tad weak on the high spots. Knee, Breast, etc. Just my thoughts.

Yep, that’s probably it. The luster and strike would have to be very good for it to grade 66/67.

John

With that being said it is not too far down the laddder.

Without reading ahead to other responses, I don't like the color on the first coin at all, though it appears UNC. I do think the color on the Mexican coin is plausible.

James