• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Proof Hazing

2 posts in this topic

I have several modern proof bought directly from the Mint within last 15 years. These are still in the original capusles and some are showing signs of hazing (usually on the obverse). I have two questions:

1) Can the hazing effect be safely removed or reduced?

2) Is it wise to have coins received from the mint encapsulated as soon as possible to reduce the possibility of hazing?

The answer to both questions is yes. NCS has been fantastic on removing haze from modern proof and mint state coinage. This haze can affect the coins grade and over time stain the coin. Modern United States Proof sets are housed in an insert that is notorious for hazing coins. However encapsulation of coins prevents and slows down any environmental effects for the coins, so often coins encapsulated in 1999 look as they did in 1999, when proof sets from 1999 often come hazed over and tarnished. I would recommend NCS conservation for removal of the surface contamination and NGC encapsulation for protection and stability.