• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I expect?

12 posts in this topic

In general, I'd say that is a lousy image on which to base a purchase decision. I hope you got better images from the seller before you made your decision.

As far as ICG goes, your coin will probably be accurately graded (or at least within the same tolerance as PCGS/NGC/ANACS). The graders at ICG aren't fools and know what they're doing.

The main complaint I've read about ICG relates to extremely high grade ultra modern coins. I haven't read any complaints about their grading of classic coins or circulated coins. On the other hand, one doesn't see that many of their coins on the bourse floor, either.

As far as "original" - well, again, ICG is probably within the same tolerance as PCGS/NGC/ANACS, which means that you should know what an original coin should look like, because all the grading services will slab dipped or "lightly cleaned" coins.

I have to agree with Dave completely on this in that ICG has been bashed for their liberal ultra modern grading, not for their other grading. As an aside, I did not see a return policy written in the auction, and that alone would have made me pass on this piece.

Dave and Tom,

That's chance you sometimes take when bidding on auctions with lousy images. Had he included quality photos of the coin, the realized price would've most likely been 40 or 50 bucks more. If it turns out to be acurately graded and original then I will have gotten a decent type coin at fairly nice price. As for no return policy,yes that can be a concern, but I took into account that he has 1600 plus feedbacks with a 100% positive feedback score over more than a 3 year period. That's not an easy task and probably speaks to his trustworthyness.

JJ

I have found ICG to be VERY good on some coins,older gold especially, some Cents are pretty close, just stay away from Morgans and Modern and you should be ok. I had one ICG grader grade a 1851 $2,50 cent piece as a AU55 "cleaned" that came back from PCGS as a ms 64....Go figure! confused-smiley-013.gif

Dave and Tom,

That's chance you sometimes take when bidding on auctions with lousy images. Had he included quality photos of the coin, the realized price would've most likely been 40 or 50 bucks more. If it turns out to be acurately graded and original then I will have gotten a decent type coin at fairly nice price. As for no return policy,yes that can be a concern, but I took into account that he has 1600 plus feedbacks with a 100% positive feedback score over more than a 3 year period . That's not an easy task and probably speaks to his trustworthyness.

JJ

Pretty damn impressive! I always take that into account as well JJ, although I agree with Tom about the return policy.

Let us know how the coin turns out, maybe give us a better picture.

I've found that ICG tends to be a little liberal when it comes to all coins,but on average they're pretty good on classic coins. Unfortunately they do not fetch nearly as much as similar PCGS/NGC coins,however,as you would imagine this makes ICG coins great crackout candidates! thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree with Dave completely on this in that ICG has been bashed for their liberal ultra modern grading, not for their other grading. .

I agree. I think that they are a fairly solid grading company and are certainly not a fly-by-night outfit. The only issue I have with them, as stated, is their liberal policy for grading MS/PR 70 coins which is just providing fodder for fad collectors.

Will you be dissapointed? That all depends on what YOU are expecting. IGC is a decent grading service on the older coins as mentioned, but a bit more loose on the modern which hit the market more often. That being said it hurts the image of the company as a whole. I think your coin will be right on for the grade. I hope you like it. Good Luck!