• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethical Question

10 posts in this topic

Doesn't NCS offer to get it back into a NGC holder? I'm not sure why someone would want a problem free coin in a NCS holder...

I crossed a coin to PCGS but left the NGC serial number in my registry set for a few months. I finally fixed the registry set and returned the old label to NGC. I didn't feel I was being unethical for those months. I still had the same coin and it was still graded the same.

Interesting question.

On a purely technical level, once the coin resides in neither an NGC nor a PCGS holder, the answer is no, it would not be ethical.

Though you don't specify the coin's original grading service, I suppose the practical issue is: "Now that it's conserved, why doesn't the coin reside in an NGC holder?"

The fascinating aspect of this situation is that it tends to fly in the face of the "buy the coin, not the holder" maxim. With registry sets, the participant buys [into] both. One way to look at it is: that's the price of admission. If the registry game is important to you, then you implicitly agree (by participating) to play by the rules.

Without further context, my advice would be to cross it into an NGC holder if its position in your registry collection is important. Otherwise, enjoy the coin in its new (hopefully improved) state of preservation and forget the registry.

Regards,

Beijim

Guys, it is the IHC in the thread in the coin forum, clashed die cent. It may not cross once the carbon spot is conserved. I'd rather have the coin conserved from further damage rather in a PCGS or NGC slab. It would fill a slot in my IHC registry set as it sits now.

Plain & simple-NCS coins are not allowed in the Registry. The Registry is for coins in PCGS and NGC holders.

Does owner get to keep the old NGC insert? Or does NGC delete it from the database thereby deleting it from the registry?

TRUTH 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Guys, it is the IHC in the thread in the coin forum, clashed die cent. It may not cross once the carbon spot is conserved. I'd rather have the coin conserved from further damage rather in a PCGS or NGC slab. It would fill a slot in my IHC registry set as it sits now.

Oh boy - tough call - that's a terrific coin (and I really enjoyed the special graphics you posted showing the clash impressions in detail). Are you concerned that removing the carbon spot will leave the copper an unnatural color that NGC will find unacceptable?

If you haven't already submitted it, why not see if NCS can provide the Grade Protection option? It's worth a shot.

Beijim

This is a tough call. Maybe the Registry's need to establish a policy on this. My problem with it is: without pictures, how do you establish a particular coin's Pedigree once it is no longer encapsulated. Too much elbow room for manipulation by those few without scruples. This is one area were computerized memory on grading would be the "retinal scan" of these coins.

Once the coin is scanned it would become like a fingerprint.

I don't see any leeway in the Registry Set requirements. I think if a coin is removed from the holder that qualified it for the registry set, then that coin must be removed from the registry. Owner simply has to wrestle with the difficult situation of prioritiy, Registry Set or preservation of the coin. If it were my coin, I would try the NGC grade protection. If they refused, then a decision must be made by the owner, Registry Set or preservation of the coin.

I agree that abuse would be rampant if the policy were modified.