• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philippine Centavos RED RED-BROWN BROWN

2 posts in this topic

I have had several centavos and half centavos graded. The grades vary along with color. Overall the most basic question is which is better to keep for you collection. With disregard to date:

RED coin one grade lower than BR

RED coin two grade lower than BR

RED coin -1 fm RB

RED coin -2 from RB

RB coin -1 BR

RB -2 fm BR

You get the idea. Also what is scarity of RED and RB compared to overall coins. I look at the census but it only has hand full usually 20 or less coins graded Uncirculated in almost any date.

Thanks,

ALLEN

1328650-2750759_005_o.JPG.995410a592ca73d9cd46a9332e4cb6c6.JPG

I have had several centavos and half centavos graded. The grades vary along with color. Overall the most basic question is which is better to keep for you collection. With disregard to date:

RED coin one grade lower than BR

RED coin two grade lower than BR

RED coin -1 fm RB

RED coin -2 from RB

RB coin -1 BR

RB -2 fm BR

You get the idea. Also what is scarity of RED and RB compared to overall coins. I look at the census but it only has hand full usually 20 or less coins graded Uncirculated in almost any date.

Thanks,

ALLEN

I would say its really a matter of personal taste. Some collectors prefer their bronze to be a sharp red color, while others like the smooth chocolate brown look. I like both. Depends on luster and eye appeal. From an investment standpoint, red is more desirable, often commanding twice the price of the same coin in the same grade in brown (red-brown may go for about a 50% premium). For the USPI series, I would say save all your full red centavos (certainly if they are only a grade lower than a RB or BN). They are exceedingly rare in any date, especially pre-commonwealth dates. The pops for RB or BN may seem lower because they aren't worth slabbing.