• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Shoulda Woulda Coulda but didn't so I didn't get the grade I shoulda

28 posts in this topic

Sorry, but I don't get this thread... Maul, what are you asking us to post?

You are posting a coin or coins you should have bought but did not and now regret it..

I have been out of town and haven't been able to get to a computer. I have been busy doing some renovations on a house built in 1685.

But the question should be Coulda,Shoulda,woulda I have gotten a DCAM if I only had prepped my coin for Slabbing.

66sms.jpg66smsrev.jpg

The spot on the reverse is NOT a milk spot and all the letters on the reverse are frosted.The scanner doesn't pick it up on all the letters.

Just curious Maul, what would you do to prep that for slabbing?

Zach

I'd send it to NCS.The haze and gunk can be removed and the mirrors would shine on through.That is (in my opinion) the only thing keeping this a $45.00 coin verses a $700.00 coin.

Why NCS you may ask ,Because they guaranty their work.

The only reason I ask is because I have a proof frankie with some PVC on the rim and two spots identical to the white one on the reverse of yours. The problem is that this is a 25 dollar coin, not worth sending to NCS. Should I dip it to remove the spots? Would that get the PVC too? There aren't huge globs of it, but it's there.

Thanks for the help,

Zach

Go to the Hardware store and get some Pure acetone and soak it,If it's a small spot it won't take long, then rinse the Hell out of it with some distilled water.

Lightly pat it dry and you should be good to go.

Any one else wish to add something I may have missed please do as I am not the most experienced at dipping.

Acetone will get the white spot too? I'm sorry about all of the questions, I've never done this before, and I'm scared of ruining my coin. Will patting it dry leave hairlines on the coin? What is the actual procedeure in dipping the coin? I don't exactly want to stick my hands in acetone, but won't it dissolve rubber gloves? What sort of container do you use, since plastic will be dissolved. Will a metal container damage the coin?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but thanks so much for the help!

Zach

Use a glass dish. Acetone shouldn't hurt your bare skin if you don't overdue it and wash immediately afterwards. Distilled water will rinse the acetone and ensure that no spots are left on the coin. You pat it dry in order to avoid hairlines. Rubbing is abrasive and will leave hairlines.

I'm sure everyone has there own way of doing this. Here is the way I like to do it.

If you can find a small jar (a Pimento jar is perfect) because of the contour of the jar you never have to worry about making contact with the high points off the coin. Put your acetone in the jar with the coin carefully tilt the jar and gently move the jar in a circular motion. Remove the coin and use a can of compressed air to dry. You can also put the lid on it and save it if you like.

Use with caution and be sure to read and understand the warning label.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that often I will put a small piece of cloth or paper towel in the bottom of the jar, cut to fit. This will keep the coin from sliding into the bottom very fast and serves as a cushion.

If your spot is what is commonly called a milk spot,Then no it won't help.

The spot on mine is in actuality toning around a spot of something black and Minute.

Thanks for all of the help guys, I'm going to get some acetone today. Maul, The spots on mine look identical to the spots on yours, i.e. some [embarrassing lack of self control] toning around a small contaminant. I'm excited to see how the acetone will affect them.

Michael, I do remember that thread well, and if I remember correctly, canned air won't damage coins, but compressed air will.

Thanks,

Zach

Hey guys,

I just had to get this out to some people who could understand. I was going to bid $1250 on this coin 1881S with 20 seconds left and my borwser hung 893censored-thumb.gif. By the time I bid it was too late, "this auction has ended." Oh I was so upset. I had trouble sleeping last night. Obviously, it's still in my head! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Don't worry, Winston, you will find many MS67 1881-S Morgan dollars since this is the generic date for high grade Morgans. Many of these will also be very nicely toned, though they may not reside in a PCGS MS67 holder with an obvious thumbprint on the obverse at the base of the portrait. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Sometimes, we have to listen to our computer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John,

I am planning on selling a few coins to free up some money for an upcoming coin show. Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it thumbsup2.gif

Thanks again, Winston