• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do dealers ignore you if you don't buy their coins anymore?

15 posts in this topic

I know of several dealers who used to be really nice to me. Then I stopped purchasing coins or selling them coins/jewelry since I am no longer in their specialty area, and, whammo, not even a smile or 'hello'. Rather irritating since I did tens of thousands of dollars in business over the short term. 893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

yes i have personally seen/experienced this scenerio so many times that if i got a dollar every time i saw/experienced this i would be rich!!

but i am sure it is nothing personal

such is the coin game

now i am sure it does not happen every time but it does happen lots from my limited experiences in the coin game

sincerely michael shy.gif

I think some do Truth. I don't let it bug me. I make it a point to go up and shake their hand. Some day there will be something in the case I just have to have. They will have to tell me to get lost to keep me from being friendly and looking. I know they must spend most of their time with the folks that lay out the bucks but I want them to know I'm still looking for that special coin. Just my thoughts.

Larry

the answer to your question would be YES!!

I noticed it to. some get really rude if they have to talk to you and you don't buy from them .

hahahahahah 27_laughing.gif. this really isn't the way to get customers.

rob. 893Funny-thumb.gif

makepoint.gif

I know of several dealers who used to be really nice to me. Then I stopped purchasing coins or selling them coins/jewelry since I am no longer in their specialty area, and, whammo, not even a smile or 'hello'. Rather irritating since I did tens of thousands of dollars in business over the short term. 893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

Could be they read your political rants at the Water Cooler?! grin.gif

truth,

I've done business with a dealer in Fresno, CA, for quite some time. The guy is never nice to me, nor very helpful!!..

Whether I'm looking to buy a $30 coin or a $300 dollar coin, the guy just looks at me as if to say, ( Are you going to buy it or not? Your just wasting my time! ) and the funny part is I allways end up buying SOMETHING!! mad.gif

Not any more!!!

If the dealer does not respect me for being a collector, then I'm takeing my hard earned american green cash money, and spending it elsewhere!!!!!!! grin.gif

mike

-----------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

These dealers may not be as rude as you think.

When you are doing a show, time is money, and a dealer needs to be mindful that chitchat with someone who is not going to buy anything can cost him sales and profits. If a dealer is cutting you dead and not saying, "Hello!" that's one thing. If he acknowledges you and moves on that’s another.

Sure it’s fun to share you latest purchase or talk about a coin you are not going to buy that a dealer is offering. Still if other customers want to get at the dealer’s table, it’s rude on your part to block his table and take up space that could be devoted to business.

At a show I love to spend time with collectors if the show is slow or if it’s the end of day, the dealing is mostly done. But in the heart of the day during “make or break” time, I’ve got to tend to business.

I realize many members here are also dealers. That is why I am getting these feelings about this subject of my chest. Just so that dealers understand how this behavior makes collectors feel.

A small minority of dealers are pretty rude! They will not deign to talk to me (or most collectors), even if I am interested in buying their stinking coins. Even when they are ALL ALONE at their table. They apparently set-up at shows to sell exclusively to other dealers. The attitude of these jerks is that they do not want to "waste" their "valuable" time or even contemplate selling one coin at-a-time to collectors. It is a good thing that all retaillers don't act like this or commerce would shrivel!!!!!! I do not spend money in places where they don't want my business!

Why don't they just package up their [!@#%^&^] and walk it around the show, instead of pretending that they are in the "retail-coin-business" by setting up a table. Over the years, I have mentally tagged some of these dealers and do not even bother to stop at their tables. To me, the act of buying and running a table means that you are there to transact business with the public, including collectors, that is why they are called "Coin Shows"! If they are there to not deal with collectors, I will not buy from them either, screw-em!

I have never been a dealer, but I spend a fair amount of money each year on coins and I find these clowns to be pretty annoying (maybe insulting is a better word!). I do not know what business these particular dealers are in, but it is not the Coin Business, per se! rantpost.gif

Why don't they just package up their [!@#%^&^] and walk it around the show, instead of pretending that they are in the "retail-coin-business" by setting up a table.

You get better prices if you are set up at a table at the show than if you are just walking around. It's also a lot easier to work from a table both from a practicle standpoint and a security standpoint.

Many dealers don't like working with the public for a number of reasons.

First deals with other dealers are "clean." There is no hemming and hawing about prices most of the time. It's either up or down. You also don't have dealers bringing material back for refunds as you can have with the collecting public. Also most dealers know each, and "bad checks" are seldom a problem. If a dealer starts to pass bad checks, word gets around fast and his business in is deep do-do very quickly. 893naughty-thumb.gif With the public, you can more problems with bad checks.

Also sales taxes come into play. Almost all tabled dealers have resale numbers and that makes it easier to deal with them and obey the law. Most collectors expect to buy at the same prices as dealers, and they expect you to evade the sales tax laws for them. With the states strapped for cash, that is getting to a more risky practice for business people. flamed.gif

I'll sell to anyone at a show, but collectors should realize these factors. And yes there are some dealers who are just 893censored-thumb.gifholes, and it's better to avoid them. As a dealer you can do that by quoting them very high prices. They get message very quickly. Believe me I have taken some of the same guff stooges.gifas a dealer from some people that you have taken as a collector from dealers. Your treatment has not been unique.

I'm retired now, but when I had the shop, I did ..... both.

If someone had stopped collecting or changed interests and came in the shop to just chat, if I had the time, I was polite and even made some friends that I have to this day.

However, if someone came in and NEVER purchased BUT wanted to look at coins, I could get rude. One guy came in and LITERALLY looked at 3 Franklin halves for an hour. He had nothing to do, but I don't think he realized that I did.

I finally asked (did other things during time) if he wanted ANY of the three. He said he didn't want them, but was just looking to "kill time."

The key is the conversation that takes place in my opinion. If they come in to be friendly and chat and stay out of the way of buyers, they are welcome to stay. If they are PRETENDING to be interested in coins, then I shooed them out.

The SPECIAL peeve is the collector who comes in with EVERY purchase he makes somewhere else. I used to "test" collectors every once in a while with a price UNDER cost. If I got a "welllllll.....I .....gotta.....THINK.....about .... it.

That turned me to instant "Coin Nazi."

NO COINS FOR YOU!

mad.giflaugh.gif

"Keep in mind that the milk of human kindness comes from a beast that is both cannibal and a vampire."

The SPECIAL peeve is the collector who comes in with EVERY purchase he makes somewhere else. I used to "test" collectors every once in a while with a price UNDER cost. If I got a "welllllll.....I .....gotta.....THINK.....about .... it.

Yes, that's one of my special peeves too. One guy asked for a price on a very scarce medal that I had that was made in bronze and white medal. I had the bronze piece, which is scarcer and more desirable than the white metal variety. I gave him my price and he passed which was OK.

A few months later he showed up at my table with a white medal piece. "See!" he says, "I bought one of those, and I paid a couple hundred less than you were going to charge me!" His implication was that I had somehow tried to cheat him.

Well dah! Your medal IS worth a couple hundred less because it was in another metal. I let it pass, but it's not a great way to build a working relationship with dealer.