• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me grade this toned 1921 Morgan

9 posts in this topic

Here is another Morgan I scooped up recently.

This is my first really toned coin that I am attempting to grade and thought, "Why not ask you guys for help?"

It appears uncirculated and has very few contact marks. The toning is so dark that it is tough to see things in the fields, and even more so in the relief areas that might detract from the grade.

Since the luster is completely covered, I would think that this coin would be on the low end of the MS grades, however, there are very few if any distracting marks in focal areas...which I would think gets me closer to MS64 or better.

At the moment I am thinking something like MS63 or MS64.

I think a MS65 is a reach.

I also think that MS63 is extremely conservative.

All in all, I am fairly new to grading, so I will take any advice on this one I can get.

Feel free to be brutaly honest....if its AU then say so.

Thanks!

tone.JPG

I am in absolutely no way an expert in this series, but the high point of the reverse is the central portion of the eagle's breast while some of the obverse high points include the hair directly above the ear and at the crown of the brow. In my opinion, these areas look like they show flatness that is more than I would expect on a poorly struck, re-hubbed MS coin. Therefore, I am thinking AU58, though I believe that I like the look of the coin very much.

I was thinking about the same as Tom. There does appear to be some minor rubbing at the high points of both sides precluding this coin of MS status. That said, I do like the original look of the coin.

The tone is a little bit dark for my liking, but you can clearly see some]/i] wear on both the obverse and reverse of the coin. I wouldn't mind having the coin, but wouldn't spend much money on it.

I was trying to figure out how an area of the coin might look flat in the relief but at the same time have zero wear on the fields. I cant say that there isnt some extremely light wear under all that tone. It doesnt seem like it in hand, but under it all I have no idea. For what I paid, this coin is well worth the cost (it was very cheap)

It is tough to figure out some of the issues with these toned coins.

It seems to make some details stand out more, but at the same time it hide other things that might be more obvious on a BU coin.

Thanks for the replies.

my thought is AU 50 to 55. It looks like some wear on hair above eye, over ear, on bolls, eagles brest, top of legs, and talons. Minor surface abrasions are clear. Also I like them shiny and white although I can live with some gold toning or uniform blue hazing, this coin is too dark for me.