• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does this scratch affect the grade of this otherwise MS Morgan?

10 posts in this topic

Picked up this really nice 1891. In hand it is fairly stunning...except for that major distraction on the cheek. Without that abrasion I could see this coin easily going MS64, maybe MS65. There are so few contact marks that it makes me ill to see this nasty scratch across the cheek. I assume its from careless handling at some point in the coins life.

Does this drag the coin down to MS60? MS61? Can I still score a MS63?

The reverse on this coin compares with MS65 coins I have from the top two TPG's. I think this one is actually nicer. The obverse is fairly standard, except for someones painful mistake.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

mscoin.JPG

What are the little dots all over the coin? Are those spots of tone, or what? I'd say it'd be dragged down to about a MS61 in my opinion.

What are the little dots all over the coin? Are those spots of tone, or what? I'd say it'd be dragged down to about a MS61 in my opinion.

Those black specs appear to be tone. In hand, without magnification, they really arent visible...at least with my eyes. When the image was blown up I noticed them. I took another look and was able to very faintly see them, but it really takes a loupe to see them. At arms length they are invisible.

Please, tell me if I am wrong, as I cant grade worth a 893censored-thumb.gif The dirt on the lower obverse around the one dollar looks uneven to me. I would expect to see a bit more around the outside of the letters if the accumulation inside the letters is to be believe. Is it possible that this Morgan went through some type of light cleaning?

Not knocking the coin, I like it! Just trying to learn more.

Is it possible that this Morgan went through some type of light cleaning?

Not knocking the coin, I like it! Just trying to learn more.

Well, anything is possible before I had it, although judging from the people I bought it from, I very seriously doubt it. It came from an estate sale from people that knew basically nothing about coins at all. If they had cleaned it, I think it would have been obvious. If I go by what they said, the coin was probably in the family for many many years. If it was cleaned at some point, my guess would be that it was a long time ago. That said, I cant say for a fact that it hasnt been, I just dont suspect it.

If the marks on the cheek are as bad as you write they are, then this is a coin that I would not have purchased.

Looks kind of like spraypaint overspray. Were you looking at this coin while your buddy was painting his black car?

Naw, I'm joking.