• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tell me what you think (grade) of this 1950-D Jefferson...

24 posts in this topic

does the clarity of the steps mean anything?

Is this coin worth grading? Especially if I throw it in with a big batch of same tier coins?

This is a key date nickel as you know. The steps if full(Yours are not) will bring a premium. Its a sign of a quality strike. This coin is a fairly late die state as you can see with the die wear all ove the coin and weakness of strike. The coin still looks MS if you ask me, but without seeing the coin in hand its hard to say which number grade it would have. If I was a betting man I would say MS63 shot 64 if they luster is there.

That's a very key date nickel ($12 in G), and a very weakly struck example. I was leaning towards MS63 like Bruce. I just bought an MS version myself off of eBay, looking to see how it comes in.

Tough to grade with such a large photo. Had to back off about 10 feet! crazy.gif ANyhow, it's typically weakly struck. Sharp '50-Ds are uncommon, at least. I'd say it's a 64-65, but would have to see it in-hand to be sure. Does not look FS.

Hoot

thanks to all.

I think since it's a key date I'll wait until I have a batch of tier appropriate coins and send it in to get it slabbed.

This would be best as an album coin, as they are fairly common like the one you showed. The hit on the steps between pillars 2 and 3 precludes the FS designaiton. Look for a sharply struck '50-D with nice color and full details before you bother slabbing it. Your search will require some time...

Hoot

This issue was extensively hoarded by the roll by speculators and collectors immediately at the time of issue. At one point, many years ago and fairly shortly after release, these were going in excess of $1,000 per roll! 893whatthe.gif Truly, circulated examples of the 1950-D Jefferson are likely more scarce than MS examples.

These seem to always be slightly or extensively mushy, with poor steps, and this coin looks fine for the issue. I would go MS64 without hesitation.

I think Hoot and I are both saying the same thing in that we think it is an acceptable for the date mid-grade MS piece that has no real scarcity. If this were my coin, it would never see the inside of a slab.

ok... I'll put it back in the album (which is full) I guess I just figured that since it's the key of the series, I'd preserve it so it doesn't get any more jacked-up.

Whats up with the M/M....Is it a run of the mill D??

D looks Normal to me. I think what you are seeing is the result of die wear on the D sorta like you see on the stars on say Bust Halfs.

MS-63. A friend of mine from the coin club asked me to verbalize an opinion on a dozen of these at the show. I graded every single one MS-63 and suggested they might have come from a roll. He laughed out loud, saying he'd bought them from a magazine ad - that advertised them as having come from original rolls.

James

Can I please ask...what the heck is the point of slabbing this coin? This coin wholesales for about $8-$10. I'm not sure of it's resale value. Is there a point in slabbing low value coins like this?

Can I please ask...what the heck is the point of slabbing this coin? This coin wholesales for about $8-$10. I'm not sure of it's resale value. Is there a point in slabbing low value coins like this?

WW didn't say he was going to slab it - he asked if it was worth slabbing.

does the clarity of the steps mean anything?

Is this coin worth grading? Especially if I throw it in with a big batch of same tier coins?

Turns out it's not worth having it graded. I think it was wise for WW to ask first.

Hays

yes it was, Winston.

My main thought in regards to slabbing was to preserve it as-is.

The coin currently has pretty nice luster for being a 56-year-old coin made our of nickel. You can pull nickels out of circulation that are only three or four years old that have less luster. So by slabbing it's made inert (for the most part) and therefore preserved.

I'll most likely just get an air-tight holder for it and leave it as that. Jeffs aren't even my thing.

(((I'll most likely just get an air-tight holder for it and leave it as that. Jeffs aren't even my thing.)))

Why not slab it yourself. Coinworld has generic slabs. I use them.