• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan help

9 posts in this topic

I purchased this 1882-S PCGS MS-64. In-hand, I find that it should be PL (distinguish print well over 6"). As PL, it is worth about double MS. If I crackout and submit, how much risk is there to dropping a point or 2 (which would defeat the purpose of submitting)? Appreciate comments. This is the best I can do for photo.

1882-001.jpg

1882-002.jpg

If you feel it has a real shot then the upside far outweighs the downside. That is if you plan on selling it. If you do not then you should not reholder it in my opinion. Just my thoughts.

Submit the coin in the holder for designation review.

Thats very good advice, but if it does not upgrade then cracking may be the way to go if you truly believe it should.

As far as I understand the initial question, he is not looking for an upgrade but just wants the PL designation added.

As far as I understand the initial question, he is not looking for an upgrade but just wants the PL designation added.

You are right, but we all know that the TPG's may deny a coin looking for a PL desination in a holder, yet you crack it out and submit it and it gets the desination. I have seen it happen before and I am sure you have as well.

Unless you are looking to sell it, I wouldnt do a thing. If the coin is PL, then that isnt going to change. Regardless of what the label on the holder says, the coin is what it is. I cant say from the image you posted if it would get the PL, and im not the expert anyway so my opinion isnt where the buck stops. If you really want the label to reflect the true condition, send it in for review. You may want to take the slab to a show and ask a few folks for opinions before incurring the expense of submitting it.

Good luck - either way, its a nice coin!

I don't plan on selling but, I will send for designation review. I do want the coins to be accurately labeled.

Thanks for the good advice.

Regis

p.s. Those mirror surfaces sure are hard to capture in photo Christo_pull_hair.gif

Regis,

Here is my opinion. If you like the coin which obviously you do, then leave it as is. You are taking a gamble that, based on someone else’s opinion that the coin will grade PL. From my own experience, and I have done it myself many times and later regretted wasting the money. Now if an upgrade were to make the coin more valuable and you were selling, that would be a different story.

Look at it like this. You have a nice looking coin (it is what it is). This particular coin (year and mint) are known for there above average eye appeal, luster, etc. Every time the coin is cracked out and handled regardless of who does it you stand a chance of getting another mark on it. Look at it as a high end MS64 and enjoy it knowing it has been conservatively graded and save your cash for something else you would like to have.