• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862/1 Trime AT or NT

31 posts in this topic

It's very difficult to tell, but I would think that if the apparent violet color on the top vertex of the star is present in a significant quantity then it has more likely been treated with something, such as liver of sulfur.

It's very difficult to tell, but I would think that if the apparent violet color on the top vertex of the star is present in a significant quantity then it has more likely been treated with something, such as liver of sulfur.
Hey Tom what is liver of sulfur?

It's a mixture of potassium sulfides that has long been used to impart a dark color on coinage. I think its first use was to darken antiques that had been cleaned or to impart an antique finish onto new materials. Folks have used this for quite a while to give a "darken to taste" look to coins that includes vibrant blues, purples and chestnut browns.

It's a mixture of potassium sulfides that has long been used to impart a dark color on coinage. I think its first use was to darken antiques that had been cleaned or to impart an antique finish onto new materials. Folks have used this for quite a while to give a "darken to taste" look to coins that includes vibrant blues, purples and chestnut browns.

Wow....Is there a list of agents anywhere that I can use to discern toning spectrums...

Get a nice camera! Mine is a Nikon D100, digital SLR. I use a 105mm micro-nikkor lens, with a ring flash. I have been shooting pictures for 20+ years, and use this 6 Mpixel camera daily in my dental practice. I shoot in manual mode, and because it's digital, shoot and delete to your hearts content. The ring flash is usually set to full mode, but I have some diffusers I use for each type coin. The flash aalso rotates, so I can change the position to pick up differences in luster and patina. I shoot a sh*tload of pictures, and keep just a few to document my coins. Her's another example. Enjoy, and get a nice camera with interchangable lenses. It's worth the investment.

Coin498752.jpg

I have a very nice camera, a Canon Digital Rebel XT DSLR. My lens is an 18-55mm zoom lens that was included with the camera. What is you lighting setup like? What is a ring flash? Should I get one? I usually have trouble capturing the luster and toning, which you have done very nicely in the above photo.

Very nice coin by the way, is it a US Commem?

Thanks for the help,

Zach

Those are beautiful pictures, Robert. The color gradation on the Lafayette is especially pleasing. thumbsup2.gif

Zach, in my experience with film SLR cameras, a zoom lens is generally inferior to a fixed, dedicated lens. I have a Nikon D70 and use the Nikkor 60mm macro lens for my coin images and found the camera fantastic. The coin in question is known as a Lafayette dollar and is the only US classic commem that is a silver dollar.

Zach, that is a nice camera. You should look around for a macro lens, preferably one which will allow you to shoot at a 1:2 or a true 1:1 ratio. The lens I use is a 105mm macro lens for my nikon, and believe it or not, it is the same lens I was using 20 years ago in dental school. Nikon has made their digital cameras compatible with manual lenses, so I saved a bunch of $$ by using old lenses. The flash is a ring flash.............look for one when you find the lens. Ask an experienced sales person, then take what they say and ask someone else! I usually put the ring flash above the camera for shooting slabs, as the Lafayette Dollar above was done. Yes, it is a silver dollar commemorative from 1901. The flash above the camera eliminates glare on the plastic. When you find a lens, give me a shout and I'll give you my humble opinion after I research it a little. Best of luck. Bob

Thanks for the replies! Is there any advantage to using a ring flash over the regular flash or florescent or OTT light? Is there a relatively inexpensive macro lens that you could recommend? I don't know much about different lenses, and don't really know where to start ot look.

Thanks for all of the help,

Zach

A ring flash is designed to eliminate shadows on objects that are imaged at close range and the flash can fit directly in front of the camera lens. It looks something like a circular, fluorescent kitchen light fixture, but much smaller. Most high end manufacturers of cameras, such as yours, have multiple lens "names" that will fit their camera well. You should either look up your camera on the web and then google some lenses or go to a camera store web site.

How is this macro lens? It is a little expensive, but I think I can manage it. One more question: Would a polarizing filter help reduce glare from slabs and shiny coins?

Zach

How is this macro lens? It is a little expensive, but I think I can manage it. One more question: Would a polarizing filter help reduce glare from slabs and shiny coins?

Zach

Go with OTT lights.. Ring flashes cost a ton. I have looked into them. About $600.00 for my camera. I have also used as polarizing filter, but I found it to have little effect on the photos.

As long as the lens have auto and manual focus options then it looks like it has the same specifications as the piece that I use for all my images posted to these boards. I have never used a ring flash so I cannot recommend anything about them.

As long as the lens have auto and manual focus options then it looks like it has the same specifications as the piece that I use for all my images posted to these boards. I have never used a ring flash so I cannot recommend anything about them.

I got to test a ring flash once, and I must say I was not impressed at all. Zach if you ever need tips with that camera, let me know as I have the digital rebel mastered pretty well. Your camera is for all purposes the same as mine with just a few upgrades. I would be glad to go over some picture taking tips etc. PM me anytime.

I am a firm ring flasher!!! 893censored-thumb.gif, and I find the vesatility in being able to turn the flash to different positions (from 0-359 degrees) allows for multiple exposures to pick up differing nuances in luster and patina. Toning and luster can look completely different when the flash is rotated from 0 to 45 degrees position, for instance. The ring flash also should be capable of being removed from the front of the lens, and then be able to be attached to the main flash body (see attached photos). I place the flash up on the main flash body when I shoot slabbed coins.

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

So I guess what I need to do is look at the next $1,000 I plan on spending on coins and spend it on a camera instead.

You can buy a good camera and lighting for under $200...if you aren't planning on doing a whole lot photography for other things,weddings,nature,etc...don't waste your money.

You can buy a good camera and lighting for under $200...if you aren't planning on doing a whole lot photography for other things,weddings,nature,etc...don't waste your money.

I think there is a lot of validity in that statement. However, I had not purchased a digital camera until June, 2005 because I could not find one that was satisfactory. Up to that time I had been using my Canon AE1 from 1978, which is a film-loaded SLR, and I wanted to buy a digital camera that I could own and use satisfactorily for the same amount of time as I had used my AE1. Therefore, the $1,700 that my camera body, extra battery, expanded memory, standard lens and macro lens cost was well worth it to me. Also, I use my 60mm macro lens for all my photography and it works beautifully. thumbsup2.gif

Here are greatly reduced resolution examples of simply picking the camera up and using it in automatic mode with the 60mm macro lens. These are three in a series of 12 shots taken within seconds of one another.

1329799-Copyofnew-3.jpg

1329801-Copyofnew-8.jpg

1329802-Copyofnew-10.jpg

Exactly right Tom,and I didn't mean my post in a negative way to those who have better cameras. thumbsup2.gif

BTW,you have two pretty girls there.The older sister reminds me of my niece. smile.gif