• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 reacts with oxidated copper surfaces.

68 posts in this topic

Furthermore, I would request that you stop insinuating legal action is taking or will take place. Not only do you have no bearing on wether or not any legal action will take place, any such legal action would be without merit in my opinion. I have libeled nobody, and I have said nothing untrue, and I challenge you to show otherwise.

I see you have learned to back peddle too..

Troll

I have publicly stated that I feel it would be in Greg's best interests to litigate.

Now maybe you have spoken to council yourself and found out that you are not so bright.

When will you be posting an unedited post from across the street.Troll

Where have I backpeddled? My message has been clear and consistent.

Please tell me which unedited post you would like to see, and if I have it I will post it or recollect it to the best of my ability.

I have nothing to hide. I have said nothing untrue. I have libeled nobody. Your failure to meet my challenge says a lot about the validity of your position.

Until you respond to my questions or provide proof of a wrong or incorrect statement, I have nothing more to say to you...Mike

Musta got another call from his lawyer.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......anyway acclaim.gif

Mike, Maulemall has formally apologized to everyone, including you, in another thread.

Let us all accept that he has admitted to being wrong (maybe not in so many words), has shown contrition, and let's all move along.

Eff him....He's a Troll yeahok.gif

Mike, Maulemall has formally apologized to everyone, including you, in another thread.

Let us all accept that he has admitted to being wrong (maybe not in so many words), has shown contrition, and let's all move along.

I am not so sure that maulemall's apology was intended for me or was sincere, considering the way it was worded and his response to my posts there.

That being said, I would be more than happy to turn the other cheek. To wit, going forward I will not post another word intended for or directed at him...Mike

I am not so sure that maulemall's apology was intended for me or was sincere, considering the way it was worded and his response to my posts there.

That being said, I would be more than happy to turn the other cheek. To wit, going forward I will not post another word intended for or directed at him...Mike

I'm glad I could mediate a happy conclusion for the two of you. cloud9.gif

I'm glad I could mediate a happy conclusion for the two of you. cloud9.gif
You're a Peach cloud9.gif

"Your post does NOT list the dates nor types of coins you used. THEREFORE I could not possibly duplicate it w/o that infomation. But I will certainly try - My goal is to hit the Blue Lottery jackpot, then duplicate the results and give those Blue babies away to collectors."

Well, I stated bronze indian cents with specific alloy. I guess to be VERY specific, I had to pull out the coins. Here's a list 1898, 1904, 1903, 1902, 1901, 1909, 1908, several duplicates.

Well I don't have a bunch of those sitting around, so it would be pretty hard to use those specific dates.Were they Uncs or Proofs? Mr. Feld is relying on your empirical data to support his premise that blue toned copper is AT - I'm trying to use what's called the "scientific method" (an experiment that is replicatable to prove or disprove a theory). His gripe is with high grade BLUE toned Indian Head Proofs - did you use any Proof Indian Head coins? someone has stated that Proof IHCs tone different than MS IHCs - based on collecting both for over 40 years, I believe that to be accurate. Were there any proofs in your sample that you MS70'd and turned blue?

"So please post the dates and denominations (and probably the conditions as I think use and wear may or could affect the experiment) of the coins that you successfully turned blue "

Well, I stated the coins were low grade uncirculated indian cents. I have tried these methods with a minimal of circulated bronze coins with poor results. Wear appears to diminish the effect. As far as environmental conditions: I had just eaten lunch, felt pretty good, the sky was blue with a bit of overcast, my kitchen was white, the air was dry, my hands were clean.

I guess I should have been more specific as to my reference to "the conditions" - I meant "the condition of the coins'", not whether you had gas or heartburn when you ran your experiment, nor whether it was hotter than *ell or colder than ... well - I think you knew what I meant

"hit the Blue Lottery jackpot"

Well, I then recommend Ford Metalic navy blue paint. This would GUARANTEE a blue copper coin. Of course, if you want certain results, then it is not an experiment, since, by definition, you are trying to control the results of a test to attain a specific outcome. Your experimentation may never yield a neon blue cent. However, if you follow the information, you will get various results, no guarantees, no money back.

TRUTH

Well, one of the severeal blue crayons in the big box of Crayola's would work just as well, and won't deplete the ozone layer - The "results" I'm looking for are to replicate the BLUES that you say you produced. If this MS70 is turning your coins blue, it ought to turn mine blue also - so far I'm not having any luck. Should I try a blowtorch? From my HS chemistry days I do remember that a bunson burner used to do the trick w/o any added chemicals. Is any heat necessary? To reproduce your results am I supposed to do a pillsbury bake-off or just clean the little puppies?

Frankly, I don't believe copper oxide has anything to do with the results at all, BUT the only way we'd know that is IF we determine by a scientific analysis exactly what is the chemical composition on the surface of those coins.

Finally, were the results consistent? - that is did every coin turn the same blue or did some turn blue and others didn't and were some a different color blue? If not all of them turned blue, what % turned blue? 1/2? 1/10? or 1/100? Sorry to bother you with all these troublesome questions, but not a one of my pennies turned blue when I MS70'd them. If it's because there's no "tin" in them I'd be quite surprised, because based on my limited knowledge of metal and chemistry it would be the COPPER that's the reactive metal here - if there is a chemical reaction going on rather than the cleaning itself is exposing some underlying color.

In the meantime, I'll just keep trying for that "Cha-ching" blue so I can give away some of those "I Felt Blue when they no-graded me" coins.

Seriously - If this stuff is being used to AT coins and we can't reproduce the results, we DO need to figure out what's going on - Otherwise every 10 year old with a chemistry set will be producing these things by the bucketfull and us old collectors will be wondering what happened to our nice hobby. Then we'll all have to start cracking out our nice coins and spending them at Starbucks for a latte - and in today's market, it costs about 300 cents to get those LA TAYs - wink.gif

It's really hard to tell if you are being sacastic, serious or a schmuck. ALL the information was in the original portion of the thread. READ IT! foreheadslap.gif

If you can't replicate the tone, confused-smiley-013.gif.

Invest some money and go out and buy the right coins. foreheadslap.gif

Something tells me you are not trying to do anything but prove me wrong. Try 8 months of trial and error, then come back with results. Otherwise. hi.gif

TRUTH