• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGS Certification... good or poop?

37 posts in this topic

PF70? eh, probably not... like I said it was at a raw price, so I'm ok.

First thing I did was pull it out of that 'slab' and thrown that thing out.

PF70? eh, probably not... like I said it was at a raw price, so I'm ok.

First thing I did was pull it out of that 'slab' and thrown that thing out.

So in your opinion what does the coin grade??

WW,

All I can say to this situation is you set yourself up for failure. You are the buyer of the coin and honestly if you can't grade via the images provided and there is not a return policy, then stay away. I don't agree with using thier feedback against them either. Sure we all know SGS overgrades coins, but the closing prices on the coins reflect that. NEVER have I seen an SGS graded coin bring the money an NGC or PCGS coin brings. That should tell you something right there. Buy the coins for what they are and not the plastic. Just my opinion. This is not a slam on you.

I completely agree. You need to be realistic and just take this as an educational experience. It is easy to get mad when you're still learning the coin game and have to navigate around all of the squirrelly sellers out there. It will never change so just accept it and avoid them in the future.

Bruceswar: So in your opinion what does the coin grade??

Probably 69

EZ_E: I completely agree. You need to be realistic and just take this as an educational experience. It is easy to get mad when you're still learning the coin game and have to navigate around all of the squirrelly sellers out there. It will never change so just accept it and avoid them in the future.

makepoint.gif

How many times do I need to say that I do not feel ripped-off here?

For the record: I bid on this item AFTER I confirmed that SGS is poop in this thread.

So in the end, I paid $25 for what in my opinion is a $25 coin. Aren't you guys always saying "buy the coin, not the slab?"

If this coin comes back from NGC as a 69 I'll be happy.

I paid a fair price for a 68/69 coin. I'm not mad about that.

However, doesn't it make YOU GUYS mad that people like the Davis's of North-Central Ohio are pawning off coins to people claiming that they are 70 when they are not?

My whole point of taunting them is to make sure they are aware that I know their scam and that I would never pay a real 70 price for one of their "70" coins.

If I can save one novice from paying a huge price for one of their "graded" coins, then my mission will be complete.

Waxon out.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

You hit on alot of points waxon. Everything you say is true.

1. SGS overgrades

2. Buy the coin not the slab.

3. You did not get ripped off, but the next guy might

4. Crooks will be crooks no matter how many times people try to stop them. I don't know Dave, but thats just an assumption if he is selling all the SGS slabs

5. While leaving a neg for overgrading might help, almost every newbie does not read feedback.

6. I am glad your happy with the coin and for your sake I hope you get a PF69 at least. Keep us updated. !

This story just keeps getting better!

I just received a reply from "Deb" she says...

I am no relation to them at all, I am an employee.

Thanks

Deb

The key word in that sentence is THEM.

So she admits that David and Eric Sparks are working together! ha ha ha

This story just keeps getting better!

I just received a reply from "Deb" she says...

I am no relation to them at all, I am an employee.

Thanks

Deb

The key word in that sentence is THEM.

So she admits that David and Eric Sparks are working together! ha ha ha

Its fairly common knowledge that they do. I am not seeing whats so earth shattering.