• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Seated Quarters)

17 posts in this topic

A very famous 1871-CC quarter changed hands earlier this year, and has prompted this question:

Name all known UNC specimens of the 1871-CC quarter. You can identify them by pedigree and their last known slabbed grade.

Prize: a beer, courtesy of yours truly and redeemable when we can hook up at the next major show. (I'll be at Baltimore and FUN.)

EVP

Mark, judging from the quick responses, I'd say that this question wasn't hard enough!

TDN, you're correct, but Keith's response is more complete.

Keith, just let me know when we can hook up. BTW, do you know Mr. Goe?

EVP

TDN,

Not sure on the dollar, but this specimen was listed as selling to a dealer in Nevada for a "high 5 figure" price.

EVP,

We'll have to find a show sometime down the road. Can't make any of the East Coast shows next year, but maybe in 2004 I can go to FUN or Baltimore.

Hey EVP-

No fair posting free beer questions about seated quarters when I am not online smile.gif Anyway, to answer your question, here's the info I have on this coin:

1871-CC 25c: Three uncs known, often described as one sided proofs. See also GJ #14 (collective volume #1, p. 238), GJ #84 (p. 34), CW 3/11/2002 (p. 3).

1) James Stack. Rusty Goe, Southgate Coins 2002, PCGS MS65. Stacks 3/1977. Stacks 3/1975 ($10500), described as wholly proof-like on the obverse. Stacks 8/1941:1865.

2) Norweb (PCGS MS64), Bowers 3/1988:1640 ($28600).

3) Eliasberg (NCG MS65), Bowers 4/1997:1497 ($165000), described as follows: the obverse die of this particular piece is highly polished and can be termed prooflike. Ex. WGC 3/1945.

Sorry! Why don't you post your own question? You must have lots of info jam-packed into your head right now!

Why don't you post something about Seated Dollars? If I get it, you buy me a beer at Baltimore! wink.gif

EVP

Sorry, Sean, but someone else got claims to the prize already. See what happens when you spend too much time hitting the college textbooks?

BTW, I think TDN will also be at FUN. Maybe he'll buy you a drink if you tell him how lovely Trade Dollars are...

smile.gif

EVP

[edited to add that maybe the working stiffs can show some largesse to the poor college stiff!]

<<[see what happens when you spend too much time hitting the college textbooks?]>>

Tell me about it. I just finished reading 450 pages for an astronomy test tomorrow.

<<[bTW, I think TDN will also be at FUN. Maybe he'll buy you a drink if you tell him how lovely Trade Dollars are... ]>>

Please see profile wink.gif

<<[edited to add that maybe the working stiffs can show some largesse to the poor college stiff!] >>

Here! Here! I will drink to that! grin.gif