• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New virus going around

15 posts in this topic

I don't know where I should post this, so I guess this is as good a place as any.

I just got this information in an e-mail from my brother in Washington, D.C. It seems that a virus is being spread by an e-mail that has a picture of Osama bin Laden hanged. When you open the e-mail it will cause your computer to crash and it supposedly cannot be fixed. I've forwarded this along to some of our members, but I don't have addresses for everyone. So, to those who have received it from me, please pass it along.

Chris

Of course, the definition of "cannot be fixed" is usually relative to both technical expertise and the degree of effort required. Usually the worst that happens is you reinstall the OS, applications, and backed up files. As long as you keep backups of your important data, the damage is usually limited to the accompanying inconvenience (i.e. time and aggravation).

Years ago there was a problem in certain IBM PC compatible display hardware in which software could write control values to the display card that would cause physical damage to the monitor (by driving it beyond acceptable operational limits). That's certainly a real example of "cannot be fixed." I'm unaware of any contemporary viruses that cause actual irreperable hardware damage, although it could simply be my ignorance.

In any event, I highly recommend using antivurs and antispyware software aggressively, tweaking browser settings to maximize security while retaining acceptable usability, and backing up important data regularly. If people do these things and exercise common sense when it comes to opening messages and files from untrusted (or unsophisticated) sources, they'll seldom have a problem.

Regards,

Beijim

The Virus that is giving me fits is: Malwarewipe. This is in part because Norton can not eliminate it. It has brought with it: iworm_attck-V22.02a. This is mostly an annoying virus that overstates risk, keeps popping up ads for gambling and meeting local women. Norton Firewall, Anti-virus, Pop-up Blocker and Systemware don't seem to have any effect, nor do the Adware-alert or Registry-bot programs clean it.

The Virus that is giving me fits is: Malwarewipe. This is in part because Norton can not eliminate it. It has brought with it: iworm_attck-V22.02a. This is mostly an annoying virus that overstates risk, keeps popping up ads for gambling and meeting local women. Norton Firewall, Anti-virus, Pop-up Blocker and Systemware don't seem to have any effect, nor do the Adware-alert or Registry-bot programs clean it.
Did you try SPYbot

I updated, reinstalled SpyBot and ran it. It removed a bunch of Adware and stuff. We will see if it cures my problem. I will let you know. Thanks for your help.

I updated, reinstalled SpyBot and ran it. It removed a bunch of Adware and stuff. We will see if it cures my problem. I will let you know. Thanks for your help.
I had a lot of the same problems ....I was using Internet cleanup and after I used that I would go back with spybot and it would Always get a couple more of the Nastier ones.

I had a lot of the same problems ....I was using Internet cleanup and after I used that I would go back with spybot and it would Always get a couple more of the Nastier ones.
Do you use ad-aware? I use it as well and it does a pretty good job.

edited to add a -

Sigh...not that this is really coin-related, but a good free firewall like ZoneAlarm (free ver.), used in conjunction with regularly updated Norton Antivirus and regular screenings by Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's AdAware Personal will go a long way to avoiding situations like this one. That and not downloading software, opening attachments, and visiting sketchy websites.

Hey would guys recomend any deep cleaning anti-spyware programs that really get it all out? My parents have been complaining that their computer was running very slow but it's a new computer and it's protected by Norton and all. Well,I happened to find out that my younger sister has been playing those "spyware games",you know: slap simon,shoot the turkey,etc. Well,I ran ad-aware,but I still think there's some more spyware still in there...Would this spybot get all this crud out?

Hey would guys recomend any deep cleaning anti-spyware programs that really get it all out? My parents have been complaining that their computer was running very slow but it's a new computer and it's protected by Norton and all. Well,I happened to find out that my younger sister has been playing those "spyware games",you know: slap simon,shoot the turkey,etc. Well,I ran ad-aware,but I still think there's some more spyware still in there...Would this spybot get all this crud out?
SPYbit is all that And a bag a ghips.

It has gotten stuff that Macafee and zone labs left in on my computer.

If you do adaware, make sure you do a full system scan, not just a smart-scan.

Zach

I did do the full system scan,I'm just concerned that it might not have gotten it all.

SPYbit is all that And a bag a ghips.

It has gotten stuff that Macafee and zone labs left in on my computer.

I concur, SPYbot rocks! It also has a very low memory usage as well, should you want to keep the program running in the background.

XPRepair, AdwareAlert and Spybot got me clean and found many bad registry entries, plus the Malwarewipe (adware) that was making my life miserable. I also have a Norton Firewall.