• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now this is really a clashed die cent

5 posts in this topic

I was fortunate to win this cent in the recent Kingswood auction and it is really a neat example of a clashed die. A clashed die results from no planchet being inserted when the two dies meet.

7.jpg

Paul, (shylock) was nice enough to blow up the image and place an obverse on the coin to show better how the markings happened.

1865MajorClashCompC.jpg

The downside to the coin is the carbon spot, it is in a PCGS 64 Red holder and might be a good candidate for conservation, at least to neutralize the spot. Anyway I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Wow! That's really cool, and kudos to shylock for going through the trouble of doing this! smile.gif I like the coin but I wonder whether the black spot, if removed, will leave a discolored region on the metal and if that discoloration will somehow be worse than what is there. Obviously, it would be a lessened spot, but, could it be pitted underneath? Regardless, I like the coin and the clashing is obvious from the original images.

Tom, my thinking is that it needs some conservation if nothing else to neutralize the spot. It might be better to slab it in an NCS slab and have it labeled then leave it in a PCGS slab. I plan on talking to NCS about it once I get it and have the chance to examine it. Someone suggest having a dealer try to remove it, heard that some are quite experienced at this.

This kind of surprised me 27_laughing.gif.