• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

upgrade?

2 posts in this topic

If I have a coin in a NGC slab that I think will upgrade if it is conserved, will you look at the coin in question and make the decision to clean it only if it will upgrade afterwards?

It is my position that you couldn't guarantee upgrades, but I could be wrong. It is someone else's position that you do.

I thank you for your time.

Part of the evaluation process for a certified coin is not only to determine what conservation process will be performed on a particular coin but to detmermine if the currently stated grade will be maintained after the work. Coins do upgrade at times. Most coins remain the same grade but with increased eye appeal and leave more stable for long-term storage. An upgrade can not be determined in most cases. If you request that a coin only be conserved if it is to be upgraded, your coin will not be conserved. We can safely determine if the currently stated grade will remain but can not risk predictions of a future upgrade.

Chris, NCS