• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does this coin need conservation?

4 posts in this topic

hi there,

i'm relatively new to the world of coin collecting and i recently joined the collector's society. i want to send some coins in for grading and i'm having a hard time picking what is worthy of grading. i just bought this barber half dollar and it seems like it could use some of your handywork before i have it graded. i guess i'm not sure if it could be graded without being touched up. what do you think?

thanks, sue

1307879-1912BarberHalfObverse.jpg.f9cb1bc0c40737711e095db601d96411.jpg

It is difficult to tell for certain what is on your coin and thus difficult to say exactly what professional conservation might be able to do to your coin. It does seem safe to say that some conservation work would be beneficial to the piece whether it is a residue removal or lightening of the toning. It would be best to submit this coin for professional conservation so that it can be examined in depth.

Chris, NCS

thank you chris, i'll send it in to you. i'd like to have it sent to be graded and slabbed after conservation and i wasn't sure what to mark on the form. it's a bit confusing but i think i check box number 2 for ngc grading only (no ncs encapsulation). i'm not really sure. number 1 is ngc grading /ncs authentication & details grading and i think that's for a genuine coin label. good grief. i'm so confused, i don't even know who declares the value in terms of what i pay to have this coin conserved. can you shed a little light on this for me? i don't think this is a variety coin so i don't have to worry about that. i might just wing it and send a note along with the ncs submission form telling them i'm too stupid to check the right boxes and tell them what i want done. thanks, sue

If you mark the #1 option in section 6, you will receive your coin back in an NGC holder, if it does not have any irreversible surface problems such as an inproper cleaning or environmental damage under the "stuff" on your coin. "Stuff" since I can't determine from the picture exactly what is going on with your coin. If it does have a surface problem then it will be encapsulated in an NCS details holder. If you mark option #2, the coin will still have to be graded so if the coin does not meet NGC standards, you will receive it in a flip with an NCS encapsulation label and still charged the NCS encapsulation charge.

The declared value is determined by you, just as you would determine your own declared value for straight NGC submission. Use a value that you would reasonably expect to pay if you had to replace the coin should the package get lost in the mail. In times where a value is excessively off, either high or low, you will be contacted to change it once the coin is in our office.

On a coin such as yours, only a variety listed in the Fivaz Stanton Cherrypicker Guide would be a possibility.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact NCS Customer Service at 866-627-2646 or ncshelp@ncscoin.com.

Chris, NCS