• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why...

10 posts in this topic

Why did "they" discontinue minting the Walking Liberty half-dollar in favor of the Franklin half?

victoreasley,

According to Walter Breen, the Treasury Department might have been influenced to replace the Walking Liberty half dollar design, in part, due to "...even the latest years, with presumably the best presses, seldom show even nearly full central details".

I, for one, wouldn't say that the Franklin half dollar was an improvement!

It may not be an improvement, but there is an attractive quality to the Franklin- the simplicity of the design- that is attractive, especially with color and luster.

I understand those who collect these with passion.

I`m a fan of both for different reasons. Maybe not as enthusiastic as LucyBop smile.gif , Both are classics in their own right. The Walkers showing strength in Liberty, Peace, and Optimism. The Franklin is a classic in simplicity of design.

Why did "they" discontinue minting the Walking Liberty half-dollar in favor of the Franklin half?

Because all other circulating coins had a dead president on them laugh.gif

Short, Sweet and to the point.

Supposedly the mint director had been toying with the idea of putting Franklin on a coin since the release of the Franklin medal in 1933 but politics and war and poof 15 years later he is on it.

Franklin was not a President; so again, why Franklin?

Try telling that to the average high school kid today though.

Franklin was not a President; so again, why Franklin?

No Franklin was not a President however he was a very distingquished diplomat in American history with a lot of influence and a man of the times that played a huge role in early American history. Him being on American coinage says somthing about his importance or else he would not be there or at least I would hope not. Being on our currency should fall to those who are important and the sad thing is, most people do not know who is currently on our coinage or what they did of importance.

Of course I love my Franklins, but there is no doubt the Walking Liberty is one of the most beautiful coins ever minted...