• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's always nice on Ebay....

48 posts in this topic

when you buy something and pay for it, then the seller (who has 100% positive) immediately leaves positive feedback for you, even before the item is shipped.

This of course makes it impossible for them to leave retaliatory negative for you later.

Reminds me of the good old days on Ebay... when you purchased something and at that point you'd done your part so you got positive right away.

This current nonsense of sellers withholding feedback until after they receive it is complete BS and if you ask me one of the bigger problems on Ebay these days.

This current nonsense of sellers withholding feedback until after they receive it is complete BS and if you ask me one of the bigger problems on Ebay these days.

I agree.

If the item is paid for, the buyer did their part of the transaction and a

positive feedback is deserved. Withholding the feedback is blackmail. It's

like taking the buyer's feedback score hostage.

I have left a positive feedback score once when the seller didn’t deserve it just

to keep my score at %100.

This process of withholding feedback negates the entire usefulness of

having feedback.

Hays

I once got a negative feedback in retaliation for a purchase on HALF.COM! I mean, how the heck can you even screw up as a purchaser on half.com? You pick what you want, click 'buy', pay, and wait. Oh, but I suppose I was being a bad buyer because I gave a negative and stated that the item came ripped up because he wrapped it in a brown paper bag and mailed it. My feedback is around 96-98% and that's just fine with me. I've never done anything wrong, and the two negs I've got are due to retaliation.

Seller #1 don't like Seller #2 because he is his main competition

Seller #1 bids and wins alot of Seller #2 auctions.

Seller #2 has to leave postive feedbacks after the auctions are paid for.

Seller #1 leaves negs while items are still in the mail.

Seller #2 has his reputation trash by his rivalry.

Would you buy from Seller #2 ? I wouldn't

Gee, I thought every seller was competing against every other seller all of the time. Based upon your scenario, maybe we should get rid of ALL of the selllers, because they must be the cause for this problem. Then we can start all over with a new set of rules and regulations that require a stiffer code of ethics and morality.

Chris

I certainly get your point here.

Problem is, Ebay is very "hands off" when it comes to feedback.

The best thing to do if you get a unjust negative is to go the person's house and kick their ..... oops I went a little multiple-personality for a second there.. ha ha

No, the best thing to is post a reply that says "send me 'contact member' if you want to know the truth."

If the item is paid for, the buyer did their part of the transaction and a positive feedback is deserved. Withholding the feedback is blackmail. It's like taking the buyer's feedback score hostage.

Yet it is OK to take a seller's feedback score hostage? Once a seller leaves feedback without hearing from the buyer, he is left wide open for abuse.

It's best to wait to post feedback until the buyer contacts you and lets you know they are happy with the item. This is what eBay says to do!

If the item is paid for, the buyer did their part of the transaction and a positive feedback is deserved. Withholding the feedback is blackmail. It's like taking the buyer's feedback score hostage.

Yet it is OK to take a seller's feedback score hostage? Once a seller leaves feedback without hearing from the buyer, he is left wide open for abuse.

It's best to wait to post feedback until the buyer contacts you and lets you know they are happy with the item. This is what eBay says to do!

I don't know the answer, but the current system sucks. If I can find what I am looking for elsewhere I buy it there. I only buy coins on Ebay, of course that brings me back to the current issue of the system sucking.

Hays

sign-offtopic.gif

ok look at this item on Ebay....

Ebay...

This person, Tabatha Denny of Tennessee is selling "Plans to build a Segway Balancing Scooter "

She charges $6.50, plus $3.75 shipping for these plans.

What you get if you buy this is a printout of this website.... tlb.org

So she is selling printouts of a copyrighted website. She claims to have permission from the owner but refuses to prove it. BUt who cares? She is still charging for something anyone who knows how to use Google coudl find in about 45 seconds.

So I received these plans, looked at them, and thought, "wait a minute. I've seen this before." So I returned it, and finally got a refund after being threatened by her (didn't know it was a 'her' at the time)

I then left NEUTRAL feedback. This of course meant NOTHING to her feedback rating of 3300+. She then gave be retaliatory negative and ruined my perfect feedback of 94 which had taken me three years to amass.

Here's the real kicker... the feedback I left got deleted becasue I included the url of the website she was ripping off. Of course the nagative she left me is still there because Ebay "doesn't get involved" in feedback dispute.

I will never again leave feedback first. I'd rather not get the feedback from them at all, then allow another crook to ruin my Ebay account.

sign-rantpost.gif over

I don't know the answer, but the current system sucks. If I can find what I am looking for elsewhere I buy it there. I only buy coins on Ebay, of course that brings me back to the current issue of the system sucking.

Hays

I would start with making it required that all auctions have a full return privilege.

Hays

I would start with making it required that all auctions have a full return privilege.

I disagree with that. What if you are selling a volatile precious metal, say silver bullion. You sell a roll of 2006 silver eagles when the silver spot price was $15. We all know that the $15 didn't last very long. The buyer inspects the coins, they're all there, nothing's wrong with them, but silver has taken a dive since he bought them. Should he be able to return them solely based on the silver spot price? I don't think so. He was taking a gamble when he decided to get into the silver market, and it was a gamble that didn't pay out in his case. It shouldn't be the seller's responsiblity once silver goes down, them's just the facts of the market.

I'm sure there are problems with this, but...

Perhaps a blind feedback system. Give each party X days to leave feedback which can't be seen by the other party. Once both parties have left feedback, that feedback becomes visible in the other users profile. If one party doesn't leave feedback after X days, they no longer can and the party that did leave it, theirs shows.

If you have an awful transaction, you can leave a negative with much less fear of getting one in retaliation. And this might help prevent feedback extortion.

That's a big burden to put on sellers. I sold a bunch of stuff yesterday. Quite a few were bulk style offerings that I said no return on. If I had to offer a return, I'd not have sold them on eBay. I don't know exactly what is in the lots and wouldn't know if someone returning the stuff took out any good items before shipping it back. Some items are meant to be sold "as is".

I also take consignments. I try to pay my consigners very quickly. I paid my last one before I got fully paid for his stuff. If I have these potential returns hanging over my head, it'll slow down my business. How long do you allow people to return stuff? I give 3 days as that is more than enough time for a buyer to make their decision. If eBay said 14 days, that'll screw up a lot of people and allow buyers to shop items are return losers.

Also, auctions are not approval sales. Look at the picture, read the description, ask the seller questions. Make your purchase decision based on those factors. If you make a bad decision the seller shouldn't have to take the hit with the return. I know a lot of people say "just relist the items", but it is not that easy and it does have costs to the seller.

BTW, I offer returns on 99% of the stuff I sell.

I'm sure there are problems with this, but...

Perhaps a blind feedback system. Give each party X days to leave feedback which can't be seen by the other party. Once both parties have left feedback, that feedback becomes visible in the other users profile. If one party doesn't leave feedback after X days, they no longer can and the party that did leave it, theirs shows.

If you have an awful transaction, you can leave a negative with much less fear of getting one in retaliation. And this might help prevent feedback extortion.

I like this idea.

You got screwed WW, but I believe ebay clearly states that any feedback that contains the personal information of the receiver or any URL in it can be removed at the request of the person who received the feedback. Therefore, you overlooked the fineprint and gave her an easy out on the feedback.

The few times I sell coins on ebay I always send the winner an email asking them to contact me, either through the ebay system or via email, once they receive the item in order to let me know if they are satisfied with it, have any issues with the transaction or would like to return the piece. I always tell them that once I am certain that they are satisfied with the transaction (regardless of if the item is returned) that I will leave them positive feedback. Even with this, I find it amazing at the number of people who never even respond after receiving the coin.

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of these worthless discussions as to who should leave feedback first? EVERY thread on this topic has only succeeded in getting people angry at each other!

Speaking of ebay feedback.. we shipped a guitar pickup to a guy in New Caledonia which is just off the coast of Australia, some time back and now the guy claimed we never shipped it. He then left a neg feedback, and as sad as it is, we have had to tell him we will not help him with a lost item claim unless he removes the feedback. Feedback has turned into a hostile thing , which is the sad reality of ebay. The neg we got was totally unwarranted, and how he wants help. I am not sure about you guys and gals, but after someone tries to smear you, do you feel like helping them?

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of these worthless discussions....

Apparently. wink.gif

....getting people angry at each other!

I'm not mad at anybody here, just at Meg Whitman.

smile.gif

I've never been angry about feedback, and I am happy to leave feedback first as a seller, which I believe is the proper thing to do. This post for me was simply a way to share my paradigm with others.

I've never been angry about feedback, and I am happy to leave feedback first as a seller, which I believe is the proper thing to do. This post for me was simply a way to share my paradigm with others.

I feel the same way. Weather I am the seller or the buyer. I deal f airly on ebay, so I am not needing to worry about feedback.

I leave feedback upon reciept of payment.

If a buyer uses paypal, they get positive feedback once I see it in my balance.

If for some reason things dont work out later, I will deal with it privately.

If someone feels the need to leave negative feedback for me I will just have to deal with that when it happpens....so far, 100% doing it my way.

For big ticket items I would probably ask the buyer if they wish to exchange feedback. The main issue I have with feedback is that anonymous people can see what you are buying. I dont like that. It's no ones business but mine what I buy...I dont like that people can see the feedback left for me from others. I understand that its a component of what makes online auctions work, but I think that Ebay should remove the link to the item that was sold....its no ones business.

You got screwed WW, but I believe ebay clearly states that any feedback that contains the personal information of the receiver or any URL in it can be removed at the request of the person who received the feedback.

Yea, I know.

I've asked the question of Ebay as to whether of not it's OK to put an email address in feedback. This would be MY email address, not the other person's.

Let's say Jerk123 screws me on a deal and leaves me negative. I would then submit a reply to the feedback that says "if you want to know the truth, email me at Jerk123 @ myDomainName.com"

I would then set up that email address with an auto-responder that tells the whole story.

About a year ago, I got... not screwed, but kinda ripped-off by a power seller. I submitted neutral feedback with a url in it to a website that told the whole story. The power seler never noticed and never complained about it, so it never got deleted. I received a number of emails from people thanking me for posting the story.

I believe you can list your own personal information in the feedback you leave for others and that it can not be removed at the request of the receiver. I write this because about two years ago I received positive feedback from a seller, but his feedback was a commercial for him! It said something like-

"Thanks for doing business with Richard Cranium Coins! Call me for all your coinage needs at (123)456-7890 or email me at richard.cranium@coins.com!"

It really annoyed me to have their commercial in my feedback and I contacted ebay about it. They refused to remove it since it was the information from the person who left the feedback. frustrated.gif

INTERESTING!

So the only real argument they might have is that I am using their username, but for a different site. Usernames are NOT trademarked, after all. They could not claim I was publishing their email address since the domain the address was a part of is a site owned by ME.

he he he he he

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of these worthless discussions....

Apparently. wink.gif

....getting people angry at each other!

I'm not mad at anybody here, just at Meg Whitman.

smile.gif

I guess you're right,time for old Tubby to shut up foreheadslap.gif

Oh, Hayen, don't shut up...this is what we expect of you! wink.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifhi.gif

I write this because about two years ago I received positive feedback from a seller, but his feedback was a commercial for him! It said something like-

"Thanks for doing business with Richard Cranium Coins! Call me for all your coinage needs at (123)456-7890 or email me at richard.cranium@coins.com!"

It really annoyed me to have their commercial in my feedback and I contacted ebay about it. They refused to remove it since it was the information from the person who left the feedback. frustrated.gif

I've gotten this a few times. It really pisses me off. I've been tempted to do a follow-up with something like "PLEASE DON'T CALL THIS SELLER FOR YOU COINAGE NEEDS. HE SPAMS THE FEEDBACK OF OTHERS". However, my feedback disappears off the front page rather quickly, so these don't last in view that long.

Oh, Hayen, don't shut up...this is what we expect of you! wink.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifhi.gif

Yeah,I've began to realize that frown.gif

Well,anyway in my opinion either party can leave feedback whenever they want.eBay doesn't state anywhere that I have seen who should leave feedback first,blah,blah.It's really up to the seller as to decide. I can understand why a seller would withhold feedback till feedback is left just to protect his reputation.I've heard the old argument against "sellers holding feedback hostage" many times,and in all honesty I still think it is highly overated. Hey,you're buying the coin or whatever,not feedback! In my opinion,just as long as I get what I bought and am happy with it I could care less about even getting feedback,much less when it's left. I know that I can speak for everyone here when I say that I always enjoy seeing that my feedback score has gone up a few points,but when it comes to buying,feedback really does not play that big of a part. The only plusses I've seen from having good buying feedback just involves you having 100% positive or something like a 25+ score. And this is only so one can use a personal check to buy coins! Face it,when it comes to selling, feedback can be essential,but in buying it really isn't. I think that arguing over at which point a seller leaves feedback is simply a waste of time,it doesn't make any difference at all as to when you receive your purchase!

On a side note,for my own auctions I leave feedback right after payment is left. While I believe that a seller has every right to leave feedback when he chooses,I've found that leaving feedback right after payment makes the buyer trust you more. It puts the buyer in a more friendly state of mind,and if they were disatisfied with the product I'm certain they would be much more coopertive and easy going. As I've said,I can understand why a seller would withhold feedback to protect his rear,but so far after 500 or so transactions I have not had any problems with any buyers. I do hope that if I ever run into a bad apple down the road,my feedback will consist of so many happy customers that it would be like shooting a pellet gun at a tank.

Hayden