• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Newbie's Coin Show Report

12 posts in this topic

I finally convinced my dad to take me to this month's local coin show in Mt. Holly, NJ. I had never been to a coin show before, and did not really know what to expect. The first thing that hit me was how crowded the floor was. I'd say that there were about 50 tables, with some dealers having more than one table. It was difficult to get up and down the aisles sometimes, but I managed to get to every dealer's table. I was able to sell a roll of 40% silver halves. takeit.gif

Now I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I couldn't go home lighter than I came! With such a huge selection, I'm surprised I only bought two coins. They are both for my Dansco 7070. Now I only need one coin to finish each the nickel and dime sections. Sorry for the lousy pics, I am going to read all of those threads in Pendragon's WYNTK post and learn how to take decent pictures this week.

SeatedDime.jpg

Here is an 1853 Seated Dime. I loved the toning on this one. I grade this one XF+ to AU.

SheildNickel.jpg

My newest Shield Nickel. I grade this one VG-F. I'm not too fond of the obverse, but I love the color of the reverse. I may upgrade this one in the future.

Zach

Sounds like you had a successful day with some loot to show for it. thumbsup2.gif

I like your dime a lot, just the kind of toning I love to see on old circulated silver coins. I think you did very well getting that dime for your Dansco 7070, the "with arrows" type is a very short issue, you don’t have decades of dates to choose from when looking for that one nice coin to fill a type hole.

Now with having the tuff one out of the way, you should be able to find with more hunting at shows a nice stars obverse and a legend obverse dime with the same grade and toning to go along with your new 1853 dime. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This would make a great looking run of Seated Liberty Dimes in your type set. cloud9.gif

Now I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Money in ones pocket always burns hot when you’re standing on the floor of a coin show, always…

Now with having the tuff one out of the way, you should be able to find with more hunting at shows a nice stars obverse and a legend obverse dime with the same grade and toning to go along with your new 1853 dime.

I have all of the seated liberty dimes for my type set. They don't match exactly, but they are all very nice.

Here's my other two dimes:

DimeSeated1883.jpg

This one is much nicer than the photo would suggest. It has nice red and orange toning, and is not splotchy like the pic suggests. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

h183951.jpg

This one is a very nice coin, and the photo is James Garcia's. (Sorry James, I will image it myself tomorrow.)

All I need for the dimes is the bust. I think that will be a little more difficult.

Zach

Zach,

I’m glad to read that your first coin show was such a success! I don’t know how close Parsippany is to your home, but if it is not too far you should really try to make it to that show sometime.

Other than the once a year GSNA convention show, the Parsippany show is the biggest coin show in New Jersey. It is held the first Sunday of each month at the P.A.L building 33 Baldwin Road in Parsippany. It’s right off of route 46 west.

There are a few board members who attend the Parsippany show regularly, so this might also give you the chance to meet some of the other board members in person.

John

Those are some nice dimes Zack, all three of your Seated Liberty Dimes look good, you should be proud to own them and having the smarts to buy them too. thumbsup2.gif

So how about a New Orleans revision of your 1839 dime?

Struck in only the second year of operations at the New Orleans mint;

1839-dime.jpg

I haven't been to the Mt. Holly show (down near Philly) in at least half a dozen years, but I recall that it was a very good show for its size. I'm glad to hear that it's still going strong.

I believe there's an annual show in Trenton, too.

The Parsippany show is the best regularly scheduled show in NJ - about 80 or more dealers and always a big crowd.

The GSNA annual show (in Somerset) is always worth attending, too.

Thanks for the report - I hope you get to post more of them!

Parsippany is a bit far for me, especially when I am relying on my parents for transportation. It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house, up in North Jersey. I will get my liscense in October 2007, so I will be at the November 2007 show! thumbsup2.gif

Parsippany is a bit far for me, especially when I am relying on my parents for transportation. It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house, up in North Jersey. I will get my liscense in October 2007, so I will be at the November 2007 show! thumbsup2.gif

Your parents will let you drive an hour and a half away only one month after you get your license?!? 893whatthe.gif

Don't get me wrong, I DO hope you get to go to show... just convince your mom or dad to go too. wink.gif

Hays

COOL,Then we will be expecting you at the Baltimore show...

As promised, I learned how to take coin pics today, so here is one of the 1883:

1883SeatedDime.jpg

Any advice on how to improve the picture further would be greatly appreciated.