• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS and NGC turnaround times - your thoughts/opinions......

5 posts in this topic

In a previous post of mine, a new topic looks to have started. So in case anyone wants to have a word or two about it, this would be likely a little easier to voice your opinions.

With RMontgomery posting recently about current turnaround times and reports of submitters across the street and lengthy turnaround times, It looks like some across the street are seriously considering coming over and submitting to NGC.

This link is one example of what I`m saying. ( Also the most convenient one for me to post. )

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=196346

Seems to me, that pressure is building up over at PCGS concerning thier turnaround times with their Economy submissions. With all the changes and the pressure to perform in the last year or so, submiters are becoming disgrunted. At least a few are voicing it.

I`m trying to sort all of this out my self. Not that I`m a Fat Cat collector/sumbmitter but, with some of my coins being slabbed by both services, I wonder where this may go. Coins are coins and they`re going to be the same coin whether it`s in a NGC/PCGS holder or a Capitol holder. But I`m wondering too how these holders will be perceived in the market place that aren`t aware of whats` going on with the heavy submitters?

Maybe I`m reading too much into it.

I have recently started submitting more stuff to NGC. At first, just some crossovers and whatnot to fill the coupons, but recently sent some raw moderns in. Was very pleased with the results and turnaround times.

I do not believe that the perceived market value difference between PCGS and NGC material justifies double the wait at PCGS to have those coins graded.

I sent a couple coins to NGC-Early Bird Service recently they cleared and were shipped within 2 weeks (less than their estimated time).

I've had four Modern tier submissions (5, 8, 16, and 17 coins respectively) plus one reholdering submission (5 coins) through NGC over the past 2 1/2 months. NGC completed each submission within the specified timeframe, posted results on the Collector's Society web site, and returned the coins promptly. In fact, one submission was completed substantially earlier than specified.

While my submissions are modest, I have absolutely no reason to use the PCGS service. What's my inducement - the poor reputation, the lousy customer service, the eroded turnaround times, the inherent conflict of interest at the head of the corporation? No thank you.

I'll buy a PCGS graded coin if, in my judgment, it's an appropriately priced example. In fact, I bought a beautiful PCGS coin just last week.

On the other hand, if the only reason to consider begging PCGS to condescend to grade my raw coins is so I can flip them to some ignoramus for ridiculously bloated premiums over value, I'll pass. First, I have to look myself in the face when I shave each morning. Second, the bubble will ultimately burst, and I'd rather not have wasted my time and money on PCGS once people realize there's no there there.

Beijim

NGC has usually been very close to on schedule for economy and early bird submissions I have recently sent in. I have 3 different early bird submissions in right now, and 2 are in quality control, and one is being graded (I hate when it's Friday, and the coins are in quality control. That means they usually ship out on Monday, but that's a couple of lost days over the weekend!). I should receive all three within the allotted time frame.

I do direct and indirect biz with two dealers that send in approx. 100 coins a month to NGC. Besides the usual complaining of getting rooked on grades, I haven't heard of any time of submission complaints.