• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a VAM?

13 posts in this topic

I was talking with someone about VAMs, so I grabbed my two MS Morgans and checked them over. On one I saw this:

1881date8do.jpg

8number5vg.jpg

IS it a VAM??

Oh, and I found this too:

yikes1at.jpg

YIKES 893whatthe.gif

Darn hitchhiker...

Hays

Hays, you can find many with the filled-die chip between the loops of the "8". In most cases, there are other aspects to be considered when attributing a VAM. A filled-die chip, by itself, is not usually classified unless it is a major error. It would help if you could provide full-view photos of the obverse and reverse. You know, the mintmark does make a difference.

Does the third photo show the area between the "N" & "I" of UNITED? It looks like a pimple to me.

Chris

Hays, you can find many with the filled-die chip between the loops of the "8". In most cases, there are other aspects to be considered when attributing a VAM. A filled-die chip, by itself, is not usually classified unless it is a major error. It would help if you could provide full-view photos of the obverse and reverse. You know, the mintmark does make a difference.

Does the third photo show the area between the "N" & "I" of UNITED? It looks like a pimple to me.

Chris

Oh, I thought ANY little o' thing besides a die clash or crack might make it a VAM. I collect F & VF Morgans for a year set and an odd toned one now and then - I only have two. But I don't know anything about VAMs. What other things should I generally look for?

That little "pimple" is reacting with my coin! Stupid pimple.

Hays

VAM's can be all over a coin... from a doubled date, to random raised parts of the metal of the coin. There's not usually a spot where VAMs occur. You just sort of scan the whole coin with a loupe and see what you find. Clashes, die gouges, die cracks, etc.

VAM's can be all over a coin... from a doubled date, to random raised parts of the metal of the coin. There's not usually a spot where VAMs occur. You just sort of scan the whole coin with a loupe and see what you find. Clashes, die gouges, die cracks, etc.

Oh, I see.

Well then I don't think I have one.

Rats

Hays

If you are intgerested in Morgan Dollar VAMS you need to get the 500+ page book! "Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars" by Leroy Van Allan & George Mallis!

There are thousands of VAM's but only a couple hundred that have any added value to the coin.

You be careful with these VAMs. They're addictive - you need occasional perspective to keep from being assimilated. I wouldn't know how to help you with that, because I'm already a hopeless crack addict.

You be careful with these VAMs. They're addictive - you need occasional perspective to keep from being assimilated. I wouldn't know how to help you with that, because I'm already a hopeless crack addict.

I just CAN'T get interested in another thing...

so Ill get watch and lean for now.

i hope.

Hays