• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Nailed It"

28 posts in this topic

Just about every day I'm working on my coin picture taking skills. I'm pretty happy with how this one looks: smile.gif

Img22413A.jpg

Img22413.jpg

Img22415.jpg

Anyone else feel they "nailed one"? wink.gif

What a beautiful coin you've got there! You did a really good job on that photo. I wish mine would come out like that.

Describe your setup, if you wouldn't mind :-)

I bet that that looks very close to the coin in-hand! It also has the prototypical look of an MS64. Nice coin! thumbsup2.gif

Hays, this is what is known as an Isabella quarter. This, along with the Columbian half, were the first official US commemorative coins issued.

I bet that that looks very close to the coin in-hand! It also has the prototypical look of an MS64. Nice coin! thumbsup2.gif

Hays, this is what is known as an Isabella quarter. This, along with the Columbian half, were the first official US commemorative coins issued.

Thanks Tom, why is it called an "Isabella" quarter? Who is Isabella?

Hays

893whatthe.gif WHAT IS THAT?!?

It's beautiful cloud9.gif

Hays

Thanks Hays. grin.gif

Heres a little history on the Isabella Quarter:

The petition for a commemorative quarter dollar from the Board of Lady Managers of the World's Columbian Exposition received congressional approval in March 1893. The board, which had been formed by the noted women's suffrage leader Susan B. Anthony, decided that the issue would bear only "female" motifs. The obverse features the bust of Queen Isabella of Spain, the monarch who some claimed pawned her jewels to underwrite Christopher Columbus' voyage to the Americas. The reverse shows a kneeling woman holding a distaff and was supposed to represent women's unsung industry and labor.

Quantity Authorized: 40,000

Quantity Distributed: 24,214

Designer: Obverse and reverse by George T. Morgan

Interesting Facts: this was the first, and so far only, commemorative quarter dollar. It was also the first U.S. coin to bear the portrait of a foreign monarch.

893whatthe.gif WHAT IS THAT?!?

It's beautiful cloud9.gif

Hays

Thanks Hays. grin.gif

Heres a little history on the Isabella Quarter:

The petition for a commemorative quarter dollar from the Board of Lady Managers of the World's Columbian Exposition received congressional approval in March 1893. The board, which had been formed by the noted women's suffrage leader Susan B. Anthony, decided that the issue would bear only "female" motifs. The obverse features the bust of Queen Isabella of Spain, the monarch who some claimed pawned her jewels to underwrite Christopher Columbus' voyage to the Americas. The reverse shows a kneeling woman holding a distaff and was supposed to represent women's unsung industry and labor.

Quantity Authorized: 40,000

Quantity Distributed: 24,214

Designer: Obverse and reverse by George T. Morgan

Interesting Facts: this was the first, and so far only, commemorative quarter dollar. It was also the first U.S. coin to bear the portrait of a foreign monarch.

smile.gifThanks

I was just doing a search...

You have a very nice coin there leeg

it literally took my breath away.

Hays

What a beautiful coin you've got there! You did a really good job on that photo. I wish mine would come out like that.

Describe your setup, if you wouldn't mind :-)

"Thanks Alot" for the compliment. I took the photo with one 13W OTT-LITE, bare bulb, sitting on the edge of my bed shining down on my photostand and the slab. I also had another 13W OTT-LITE on the floor next to the copystand just shining on the bottom of the coin. Just enough to illuminate it, no glare. I use a NIKON COOLPIX 5700. Used the "White Balance Preset" on the camera. I use Nikon Capture 4 to size the coin and use the "Auto Brightness" feature also and that's it. I've taken over 20,000 pictures using just about every bulb combination known and still not 100% satisfied. But, it sure is fun practicing smile.gif

Thanks Tom. This means alot to me coming from you. You've got some truly amazing coins and take some great pic's also. grin.gif

Beautiful coin! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great job on the photo. thumbsup2.gif Keep em coming!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Appreciate It!

Img22401A.jpg

Img22401.jpg

Img22405.jpg

Great coin and great photo.

I'm still sore at you for ordering that one before me. wink.gif

Take care...Mike

Thanks Mike. You know with a Feld coin you got to jump immediately. I've been on the losing end myself so I know the feeling. smile.gif

...OTT-LITE.....White Balance....

Ah, I knew before I read the post on the photo setup that I would see those words in the description.

Being a person who knows more about digital photography than coin collecting, I would guess that many of you that are having problems getting your coin pics to turn out right might need to learn how to monkey with the White Balance setting on your cmaera.

Many new digital cameras have a auto white balance feature. Basically what you do is set up your camera, coin and light, then put a piece of white something on top of the coin, then push the white balance button. This tells the computer inside the camera "regardless of what this might look like, it is indeed white" then camera then adjusts all the colors it sees either towards either the red or blue end of the spectrum.

sign-offtopic.gif

Another white balance trick: If you're taking a picture of a person with pale skin in bright sunlight, they will look washed-out. You can put a powder blue card in front of them, tell the camera to set the white balance to the card. Since the card is blue, the camera shifts everything towards the red end of the spectrum to make the blue card look white. This makes the person's pale skin look like they have more color.

Interesting Facts: this was the first, and so far only, commemorative quarter dollar.

Acctually it's just one among 40,with more coming in the next two years tongue.gif

Great pictures Lee! thumbsup2.gif

Interesting Facts: this was the first, and so far only, commemorative quarter dollar.

Acctually it's just one among 40,with more coming in the next two years tongue.gif

Great pictures Lee! thumbsup2.gif

Oh lets get picky makepoint.gif

But ain't you talkin bout da STATE Quarter program any ways?? stooges.gif

Who ever calls em commemorative quarters? screwy.gif Looky here at my STATE quater; Got a cow, hunk of cheese with a piece missin... that ain't commemorative of nothin confused-smiley-013.gif

Wasn't the Washington Quarter itself originally supposed to be a commemorative? I believe it was to commemorate the 200 year aniversary of G.W.'s Birth.

JJ