• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955 proof set: to slab or not to slab

7 posts in this topic

I have aquired (in transit, not in my hand yet) a flat pack, still sealed in mint envelope 1955 proof set.

To slab, or not to slab? that is the question.

Those mint plastic bags are not air tight. Plus, if there's a great coin in there, I would want to know about it. I'm not one to like to have a sealed envelope and think "well this or that could be in there.

On the contrary, if there is a problem with the mint packaging and one of the coins is jacked up, I could at least save the other four.

I would most likely send all five coins to NGC together to be put in a multi-coin holder.

Thoughts?

You have to look at the coins first. If they are all middle of the road 63-65 I would leave them in there. By the way, if one is "jacked up," it may actually be worth more to some of us.

Be careful regarding "unopened" sets from the 1950s and 1960s as these are routinely sets that have been picked through and then resealed. Of course, you could have one that has never been opened, but the odds are against it. Is this set from someone you both know and trust? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif