• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade This 1921 Peace Dollar

5 posts in this topic

All,

I'm considering starting off my Peace collection with this 1921 specimen . Judging by the pic what do you think the grade is?

Bloozeman

P.S. Ignore the $165 price on the obverse because the asking price is considerably less.

I'd be a bit concerned that the coin is AU and not BU+ as stated on the flip. The hair on Liberty is a bit flat, but given the HR design, it may be a weak strike. Nonetheless, I'd check the coin very closely for breaks in lustre. The scan does not provide enough info. Sorry, but just my impressions. crazy.gif

Hoot

IMO it could grade anywhere from au 55 -ms 63. It is impossible to tell without in person inspection. As far as the strike goes I think it is actually better than average for this date.

The strike is quite good, but the scan does not give enough idea as to whether or not there might be luster breaks that would indicate circulation.

If the asking price is "considerably less" than $165, ask yourself why? If he's selling it for circulated money, the coin is circulated, or there are some minor problems to the piece (light cleaning, etc...).

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, this was an eBay auction and some yahoo went ahead and bought it for the $95 "buy it now" price. The entry bid would have been $85.

Hoot,

For what it's worth the auctioner did list it as AU+ and not the BU+ that was on the holder so I think he was attempting to advertise it at a more accurate grade point.