• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Largest penny hoard

15 posts in this topic

Just reading the money section of this morning's Pensacola News Journal about a local guy cashing in $13,084.59 in pennies. He's collected pennies for 38 years and put them in 55 gallon drums in his garage (4 drums show in picture). Total weight was about 4.5 tons. Now wouldn't you like to get your hands on that 1st drum?

He cashed them all in at bank in Flomaton, Al., just accross the Florida Alabama line from here.

Isn't Billy from Florida?

If not it looks like you need to take a road trip Billy yay.gif

Hays

Hays, Billy lives in South Carolina. Did you read my post on searching Lincoln bags? $13,000 in pennies! Are you out of your mind? We'll be living on other planets or galaxies before you could search them all.

Chris

Isn't Billy from Florida?

If not it looks like you need to take a road trip Billy yay.gif

Hays

Hays, Billy lives in South Carolina. Did you read my post on searching Lincoln bags? $13,000 in pennies! Are you out of your mind? We'll be living on other planets or galaxies before you could search them all.

Chris

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I didn't expect him to buy them ALL foreheadslap.gif

Yes, I read you post - very exciting stuff!

I search them too, but I use a digital microscope.

It projects the cent nice and big on my computer's screen. thumbsup2.gif

Hays

Just reading the money section of this morning's Pensacola News Journal about a local guy cashing in $13,084.59 in pennies. He's collected pennies for 38 years and put them in 55 gallon drums in his garage (4 drums show in picture). Total weight was about 4.5 tons. Now wouldn't you like to get your hands on that 1st drum?

He cashed them all in at bank in Flomaton, Al., just accross the Florida Alabama line from here.

One 22 no D would pay for them all I would think. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Foaming at the mouth!!!!!!

They will eventually come to me. Come to daddy -- you know your daddy luvs you!

It's only a matter of time ....

sign-funnypost.gif

Hays

sign-funnypost.gif

Hays

Yea -- I was making fun.

But -- I jump up and get excited everytime I see a story like this. Because that is exactly what I want!!!!!

Please -- please, everybody go dump your cents, change, whatever to the Coinstars, take em to the bank. Yes bring em on --

because ....

Billy is out there searching them. The more people are dumping, the more goodies out there to be found. And again -- it's only a matter of time I see you under my scope. and when I do, bingo -- your mine.

Billy and Hays:

What kind of digital microscopes do ya'll use? As I mentioned to Billy before, I have lots of change collected over 30 years to go through. The miscroscope hooked to the computer seems the way to go.

I just posted lots of info in the tangents section - check it out.

Hays

Billy and Hays:

What kind of digital microscopes do ya'll use? As I mentioned to Billy before, I have lots of change collected over 30 years to go through. The miscroscope hooked to the computer seems the way to go.

I use a microscope with magnification that will zoom from 4x to 40x and anywhere in between. Some are locked type -- 10x, 30x, 40x etc. Today there are digital and can be hooked up to a computer. Since I got my scope a long time ago, there were not digitals out yet.

So digital is probably the way to go now.

Some banks and credit unions have free 'coinstar' counting machines. Some coinstars have a deal where you get 100% of the value if you opt for a gift card. I can't imagine he dumped one (much less more than one) 55 gallon drum's worth into a coinstar machine.

Some banks and credit unions have free 'coinstar' counting machines. Some coinstars have a deal where you get 100% of the value if you opt for a gift card. I can't imagine he dumped one (much less more than one) 55 gallon drum's worth into a coinstar machine.

Can you imagine a guy walking into a Food Lion with 4 55 galllon drums full of pennies, and then spending an hour dumping the darned things into the machine? That would be hilarious (and a bit scary) to see!