• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some copper help

6 posts in this topic

Bought this and it looks VF+ to me under the gunk. Would you acetone it or send straight to NCS, or other. I don't have much experience with copper and cleaning (without cleaning).

Thank you.

1858-july.jpg

I wouldn't do anything to that coin. The simply fact is that it is, what it is. It appears to be a mid-grade circulated coin, with slightly scruffy surfaces and perhaps mild corrosion that should be left alone. I don't think there is much you can do to "improve" the coin. Some might suggest to leave it in olive oil, but I don't know how much you gain from that.

In truth, I don't think the coin is bad looking at all.

I wouldn't do anything to that coin. The simply fact is that it is, what it is. It appears to be a mid-grade circulated coin, with slightly scruffy surfaces and perhaps mild corrosion that should be left alone. I don't think there is much you can do to "improve" the coin. Some might suggest to leave it in olive oil, but I don't know how much you gain from that.

In truth, I don't think the coin is bad looking at all.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

if you are goingb to soak it in olive oil use triple virgin pure olive oil the kind thst has no acid in it and then leave it in the oilve oil untouched for 3 months then take it out and take a look see

it will most likely be better lots better

Thanks. I'll just leave it as I'm not sure of what "should" happen after 3 months in "tripple virgin" olive oil.

The problem with this coin is that the metal is etched and ruptured from a corrosive environment. There is unfortunately nothing you can do to help it out. Curating will not help.

James