• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting - possible die / planchet error on a 1987 Lincoln cent

5 posts in this topic

I found this coin today. Something struck me as not quite right.

I tool a closer look and realized that the left side of the obverse has a

raised area of metal starting just the left of the "G" in the motto and runs down through the letters "LI" in Liberty. The "LI" almost appears doubled but I think its just distortion from being stretched across the metal ridge. The word "IN" at the top is almost completely distorted. There is no sign of irregularity on the reverse whatsoever. Part of me is thinking the planchet wasnt complete, but if that were the case I would expect to see some indication of that on the reverse opposite this ridge. Could also have been an issue with the die. I really dont know. I put this one in Whitman folder and will hang onto it. Pretty neat looking coin in hand. Under a loupe the extra metal looks cool.

LCDE.JPG

Is it possible that the planchet was punched from the very end of the roll where the curvature was the tightest?

Chris

Is it possible that the planchet was punched from the very end of the roll where the curvature was the tightest?

Chris

Well, I suppose a great many things are possible. grin.gif

I wonder if this was specific to this year, or just this coin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I''ve seen these before and I'm sure I have a few of them stashed somewhere. Not sure how it happens.....

Billy, any idea???

This is a classic example of struck with worn dies. A very late die state (VLDS) in the production run. Common on dates for both branches of the mint in the mid to late 80s.