• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 Silver Quarters

2 posts in this topic

I own a set of 1999 silver proof state quarters. A few years ago, I removed them from their holder and placed them in flips so I could add them to a 4x5 sheet for a state quarter collection (each row of 4 would hold one state - MS-P, MS-D, proof clad and proof silver).

Shortly after moving the quarters, they appeared to be covered with a fog-like film that almost looks like the condensation that forms on your glasses when you come in from cold to warm. They have remained in this state (no pun intended) ever since.

The local coin dealer I go to has never seen anything like this before. Have you ever heard of anything like this and is it a candidate for conservation? Would a picture help?

Thanks,

AW

We have seen a similar situation with many modern proof coins too often. It is likely a PVC haze left on the surface of the coin when the PVC used in the manufacture of the flip reacted with the environment. Your coins can be conserved. Conservation can bring your State Quarters up to a better state of preservation.

For information on how to submit your coins, contact NCS Customer Service at 866-627-2646 or NCShelp@NCScoin.com.

Chris, NCS