• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone post some pics of whizzed coins?

20 posts in this topic

I have been reading about this and think I saw what were whizzed coins at a flea market today. I have only read descriptions and have not seen a side by side comparison between a whizzed coin and its true BU counterpart.

Thanks.

Here's a whizzed half that I bought when I returned to active collecting. It looked so bright and shiny and was priced attactively. I thought I was getting a great deal until I saw the circular wire brush marks under magnification much later. It is one of my examples of mistakes that I have made.

1294619-whizzedhalf.JPG

1294619-whizzedhalf.JPG.8991db83e8d6665e9053ecec8f57acf6.JPG

QUOTE: "Looks like a Flitz it Commercial "

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

.....and there is free shipping if you buy $150 or more of the product! .........and that's enough for 150 coins of your choice.

Regis,

Your reference Morgan seems a lot like the Walkers I was looking at yesterday, at least as far as the hazy shine goes. A dealer had a few that had some great details...common dates in the 40's, but EF details. They were far too shiny...I have seen a lot of Walkers...but in the thousands I have handled I had never seen any like these few at this table. I put a loupe on them but didnt see anything that stood out as abrasion...my guess was some kind of very caustic acid. There weren't any circular scuff lines as I would have expected from whizzing, but I cant possibly imagine that it was original luster. I wasnt about to pay $10 to bring home a sample.

it was a very strange sheen...too bright to be real. The thing that gave it away was that there was wear all over the coins...not even a close AU...EF at the best. nice details, but with obvious wear...and bright as the sun! That combination of things doesnt add up. Hairlines or not, something was not on the level and I walked away.

Why must amatuers ruin perfectly collectable coins? frown.gif

Regis,

Your reference Morgan seems a lot like the Walkers I was looking at yesterday, at least as far as the hazy shine goes. A dealer had a few that had some great details...common dates in the 40's, but EF details. They were far too shiny...I have seen a lot of Walkers...but in the thousands I have handled I had never seen any like these few at this table. I put a loupe on them but didnt see anything that stood out as abrasion...my guess was some kind of very caustic acid. There weren't any circular scuff lines as I would have expected from whizzing, but I cant possibly imagine that it was original luster. I wasnt about to pay $10 to bring home a sample.

it was a very strange sheen...too bright to be real. The thing that gave it away was that there was wear all over the coins...not even a close AU...EF at the best. nice details, but with obvious wear...and bright as the sun! That combination of things doesnt add up. Hairlines or not, something was not on the level and I walked away.

Greed? insane.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifI doubt it was amateurs that ruined those coins – more than likely it

was an unscrupulous dealer looking to make a profit on selling to amateurs.

Hays

893scratchchin-thumb.gifI doubt it was amateurs that ruined those coins – more than likely it

was an unscrupulous dealer looking to make a profit on selling to amateurs.

Hays

I guess I should have said 'Amateur coin doctors'.

The more I learn, the more I see coins that were clearly 'enhanced' for resale, but by people that had either little skill or little knowledge...or both.

There are some doctors out there that can fool even the best, most experienced collector...but more commonly, I see these sophomore attempts at brightening a coin, with zero attention paid to detail. Ahhhh...as with all things I suppose, Caveat Empor!

Yep, ten bucks for a Walker sample is far too much. I paid $7 for the Morgan several months ago (along with some more expensive ones). It was about melt price at the time.

I'd guess that the ones you saw that were worn over entire coin were dipped and dipped and dipped again. I've seen them in Morgans and Walkers and they have honored space in my bullion/melt bag that I'm building up again. That's where my ebay mistakes (that aren't worth the postage to return) go. blush.gif

This coin adventure has a place and price for every grade and every enthusiast but, as far as I'm concerned, no place for tampered coins.

Regis

21Peace.jpg21PeaceRev.jpg

This is a good example of an image hiding defects.

I cant see anything obvious from those scans. Looks like a nice coin.

Are the hairlines obvious in hand without magnification?

great thread even better photos of whizzeed coins

some whizzed coins are highly deceptive at first glance

even at second glance 893whatthe.gif

but as many have alreasy said there is just sometyhing just not right about the way the lustre looks and sits on the coin in question

amd apon closer inspection with a glass or under a haligon light you can see the difference and there are some crappy to good to actually really good whizzing jobs

whizzing was a cottage industry in the 1960's thruogh 1970's starting with au coins made to look unc with whizzing these are usually the best whizzing jobs if you start with a white lusteours au and the whizzing is done but an expert these types can fool many

i am surprised we do not see more of this and these coins out there

I recently sold three whizzed Buffalo nickels on eBay.

Whizzed silver or nickel coins are virtually always caught by the grading services. The only one I've personally handled was a whizzed Capped bust half that sadly was in an NGC holder frown.gif. But it was a very scarce die-marriage, so the owner is happy with it smile.gif.

I've seen whizzed early copper coins in ALL holders. If carefully and cleverly retoned to an original-looking brown color, the effects of whizzing on copper can be practically entirely covered up, and an early copper can pass for a high-AU grade and slip by the graders.

But for the most part, whizzed coins are not very deceptive once you know "the look".

James

One more comment after looking at Regis44's Morgan: when the coin is amateurishly whizzed such that all the lines go in one direction, the coin look silly and wouldn't fool anybody. But there are deceptive whiz-jobs where the coin doctor lined up the direction of the applied luster to coincide correctly, ie. radially outward from the center of the coin. These will appear to be extremely lustrous coins - too perfect in fact, and the giveaway is that there'll be a "dead spot" in the center of the coin, where the luster couldn't be applied properly, and it doesn't cartwheel correctly along with the majority of the artificial cartwheel.

Beware of these deceptions!

James

macrocoin: If you look at the fields of my 1921 Peace dollar closely, you will see radial polish lines from (probably?) a cloth buffing wheel. They are obvious even without magnification on a white coin.

macrocoin: If you look at the fields of my 1921 Peace dollar closely, you will see radial polish lines from (probably?) a cloth buffing wheel. They are obvious even without magnification on a white coin.

Nice tip OT3! You can easily see it on the obverse at her

eye level. Thanks.

Hays