• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Newbie question 2004 nickels....

6 posts in this topic

Hi!

Proof 2004 Peace medal nickel.... only one kind, right?

Nickels don't come in silver proofs, right?

So If I wanted one of each type of the Peace Medal nickels, there would be only three, right? P, D, and S proof.

Unlike the Dimes for exampe, that come in P, D, S clad, and S silver.

right?

Like I said, newbie question

makepoint.gif

They do come in silver proof sets, but they are still made of nickel (actually 75% copper, 25% nickel).

There are three varieties of the Peace (Handshake) nickel. The first two are business strikes (P and D) in nickel, and the last (S) are proofs also made of nickel. They are like 2004 proof cents in that there's not an "extra" proof, and unlike the dime, quater, and half of that year which have clad and silver varieties.

Have fun...Mike

p.s. NGC also recognizes a DDO variety of this coin and they have graded a few coins from both mints prooflike (PL), but other than being kind of neat, none would be required in the typical "set". Take a look here for all kinds of neat info. This is another site that is helpful.

Thanks.

That's what I thought... only one type of proof.

Thanks also for the links. They will help.

Another question.... What does designation: MSPL as opposed to MS mean?

I gotta learn all this lingo better

Thanks.

That's what I thought... only one type of proof.

Thanks also for the links. They will help.

Another question.... What does designation: MSPL as opposed to MS mean?

I gotta learn all this lingo better

MSPL = Mint State Proof Like

MS = Mint State

MSPL = Mint State Proof Like

MS = Mint State

insane.gif

OK, of MSPL is a really really nice coin that looks like a proof, but is in fact not a proof?

Like if you have a really really really nice 2001 P Kennedy half, you could say it's "proof like" but it's not a proof, because proofs for that year are San Fran only?

I think I got it.

laugh.gif