• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got to hold the proof Buff today....

13 posts in this topic

I have to say they are Impressive.

Really quite stunning.

The coin shop I go to got them while I was checking some coins and fed ex dropped them off.

I was also checking out the MS versions.

I have to say the packaging was surprising.

$600.00 plus coin and it comes in the same crappy plastic that is used for a mint set.

I thought the Proof set was not available for shipping till July 13th that is what the mint say?
That is what was reported but I think there will be a lot of happy and surprised collectors Today.

I've also heard of some people receiving theirs as of yesterday. It will be interesting to see one in person some time.

Hoot

I've also heard of some people receiving theirs as of yesterday. It will be interesting to see one in person some time.

Hoot

Hoot,I think your gonna like em cloud9.gif

I expect mine in MS already Graded by PCGS anyday - Shipped Tuesday

So they are coming out pretty FAST and in certified condition depending on the Dealer you deal with.

m

FedEx delivered my two this afternoon. Quite a suprise since I had believed the 7/13 shipping date shown on the mint's web site. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed, there is practically no mirror finish on either the obverse or the reverse. If somebody knows what all the marks around the Indian head and the buffalo are supposed to be, I would love to find out!

I would like to hear opinions on why the early shipping. Does it indicate that they are selling out and don't need to restrict purchase numbers? Or perhaps it is just the opposite--they don't need to restrict because the sales are lagging and are the mint hopes to increase demand by getting the coins out in the public eye.

ea3bav8r

The rough field was part of the type 1 (original Fraser) design of the buffalo nickel. These coins are far more true to the original design than the buffalo silver dollars.

Hoot

I thought the Proof set was not available for shipping till July 13th that is what the mint say?

I thought that also until I got an email yesterday saying that my PB (Proof Buffalo) is in the mail.

I would like to hear opinions on why the early shipping. Does it indicate that they are selling out and don't need to restrict purchase numbers? Or perhaps it is just the opposite--they don't need to restrict because the sales are lagging and are the mint hopes to increase demand by getting the coins out in the public eye.

I don't understand the question. As of this writing, the sales restriction of 10 proof coins per order per household remains in effect.

An inventory of both uncirculated and proof coins already existed at the time they went on sale. The West Point ceremony was only that - a ceremony - and not the actual start of manufacture. Both coins were already well into production. Therefore, it's unsurprising that some customers will receive their coins before the originally posted July 13 date.

As for sales, the July 10 Coin World reports sales of some 50,000 proof coins on the first day, with a total 75,000 sold as of June 26. This seems a pretty good response so far.

The U.S. Mint availability dates are notoriously bogus. They fluctuate like Boston weather. I suspect the Mint publishes them principally as a means of setting expectations, not as a reliable predictor of reality. At least that's been my experience.

Beijim