• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another 'Grade this Morgan' thread...

17 posts in this topic

I really enjoy posting these.

Hope you all enjoy the exercise as much as me...its helping me learn and keeping all of you sharp. As usual, my photography leaves much to be desired....perhaps I will take a month off from buying coins and invest in a new camera.....nahhhh, probably not grin.gif

I have my opinion of this one...lets see what you think...

REVM.JPG

OBVM.JPG

I wouldn't buy a camera over a coin but I am having difficulty with these pics. I can't decide if what I'm seeing through the "UNUM" on the obverse and the "RICA" on the reverse are wear or a soft strike. I'd be intersted to know if anyone has a way to tell from these pictures. I guess, for the record, I'll say AU-58

Really? If it is uncirculated I would have said that the strike was too weak to get near 64. Maybe 62. Now I'm intrigued.
GeeeZe I was gonna say XF45 foreheadslap.gif......I can't see anything uncerc from that pic though.

Really? If it is uncirculated I would have said that the strike was too weak to get near 64. Maybe 62. Now I'm intrigued.
GeeeZe I was gonna say XF45 foreheadslap.gif......I can't see anything uncerc from that pic though.

No offesne, but are we looking at the same coin? Looks UNC to me, unless I need to go back to grading school all over again, which could be the case.

No offesne, but are we looking at the same coin? Looks UNC to me, unless I need to go back to grading school all over again, which could be the case.

No Offense ....It may just be the Pic / Scan but to me it looks as there is wear in the hair ,It looks to have little to no luster like it's been over dipped.

This is a scan of what I consider a ms64 21 series Morgan

21D.jpg

The reverse of the 21 series is brutal on the definition of feathers on the breast.But look at the leaves on the reverse. To me they look worn.again It may just be the Pic/Scan.

21Drev.jpg

But I am still learning so I could very easily be wrong.

Well, I will start by saying that it isnt MS by my grading...the pictures probably arent showing it clearly enough on the obverse...there is light wear on the cheek....very light, but it is wear. The reverse is in very good condition with no wear on the fields. Under magnification I can see hairlines on the reverse, but without a loupe my eyes would call the reverse MS60-61.

A few folks mentioned the weak right side...to me it appears to be a weak strike. The reverse gives this away...no wear in the field around the "RICA" in America, but the letters are barely higher than the field. I am guessing that the dies werent parallel when this particular coin was struck. The exact same characteristic exists in the same location on the obverse around the "NUM".

Based on what I see on the cheek, I would call this AU-55 and a reach at AU-58.

There is still great detail in the tops of the cotton bolls, the leaves, and the wheat...and the reverse is clean all around.

Major split grade though....As high as a MS62 on the reverse and barely an AU-58 on the obverse...the big of a disparity leaves me questioning the strike...and the weak lettering in the one region supports my thoughts.

Either way, a cool coin for $9!

Where do you buy AU Morgans for $9 confused-smiley-013.gif? The coin shop near my apartment has a "junk" (or whatever) silver dollar bin and everything in it is $15 and the coins are AG3.

my shop has silver dollars for $12.00 ... all from AG3 to MS64 or so.... If it is MS64 then its a 1921 which is by far rthe most common date.

Where do you buy AU Morgans for $9 confused-smiley-013.gif? The coin shop near my apartment has a "junk" (or whatever) silver dollar bin and everything in it is $15 and the coins are AG3.

Many places when the spot prices were under $7 an oz smile.gif

I actually still find pretty good deals on ebay occasionally.

I try to pick up a roll at a time...most wind up being AG-VG, and usually a few up around EF.

I have gotten a few MS coins this way...far and few between, but every so often you get a diamond in the rough!