• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning Coins

6 posts in this topic

You can almost certainly get better results with your existing camera by following some of the pointers folks have given in various posts here. The basic common themes are:

- Use a digital camera with 3 megapixel resolution or better

- Use a camera with a "macro" photography feature

- Use a tripod or copy stand

- Use the camera's highest native resolution with the least compression

- Use two or three light sources

- Shoot straight down at the coin

- Use a remote shutter release or the camera's internal timer

- When editing (on your computer), preserve original resolution as long as possible

- For proof coins, tilt the coin to eliminate camera reflection and achieve contrast

- For toned coins, tilt the coin to show the toning to the camera lens

- Use spot or central focus to focus on the coin and not the slab

- Use spot or central metering to set exposure based on the coin and not the slab

- Add 1/2 to 1 stop (e.g. +1.0 EV) when imaging NGC slabs to compensate for the camera's automatic underexposure from the white core

- If the camera has a white balance control, set it using an 18% grey card or white paper before shooting actual coins

There are many other great ideas from photographers here whose results speak for themselves, but these seem to be the main ones.

For lighting, many folks have good results with GE Reveal incandescent bulbs at 100 - 150 watts. These bulbs promote better white balance than regular light bulbs, which emit too much light in the yellow portion of the visible spectrum.

The main thing is that you don't need a lot of fancy equipment to get great results.

Good luck!

Beijim

All that Beijim says is correct. I would just add that yous should try to use a polarizing filter if your camera can support one. you can turn it on the camera to eliminate unwanted glare.

As the title of the thread suggests, scanning often works well.. set the resolution really high.. like 1000dpi, then scale it down.

All that Beijim says is correct. I would just add that yous should try to use a polarizing filter if your camera can support one. you can turn it on the camera to eliminate unwanted glare.

As the title of the thread suggests, scanning often works well.. set the resolution really high.. like 1000dpi, then scale it down.

I scan at 600 and it creates a monster pic.

Here is one on a Penny I pulled out of my pocket(tomorrow I will pick up a proof of something if I get a chance) and done at 1200 dpi. Width at 850 pics.

189829133_73008baa22_o.jpg